Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Oh Baby, Oh My!

Today marked what we thought was our typical December prenatal checkup. A few notable things happened.

First...my weight. I was terrified that I was going to be up 20 lbs or something crazy, and since my belly is clearly showing at this point, I thought for sure that I was going to tip the scale. Not so much! I lost another 5 lbs, so in total I have lost 20 lbs. Eeek!

Next...blood pressure and heart rate. While my bp was low as per usual, my heart rate was pretty high. Dr. Gloria left the room, thinking that would maybe help calm me down, but after seeing the Doppler machine on the counter and hoping that we would hear a heart beat today...I don't think any meditation, breathing, or "calming down" would have worked. BP was 110/70, heart rate at 110. We go in next week to have that monitored.

Finally...the Doppler. She advised us that we might not hear anything at this point, but she said that she would try and hoped that I wouldn't be too disappointed if we didn't catch it this time around. Well...we did and it was positively the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. I'm actually welling up right now just thinking about it. When she looked at me and smiled, saying "Oh! Momma's happy!" I couldn't stop crying.

Having that reassurance is truly amazing, and I am so thankful for the care that our doctor's and nurses are giving us. We've been given the green light to fly at Christmas, even though I've been told to still take it easy and that my heart rate will need to be monitored for the next little while to make sure that everything is okay.

Our due date has changed as well! It's official! We're 14 weeks along at this point, which is a big jump from the 13w2d that I thought we were! June 8th, 2010 - here we come!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yay! Im glad that you were cleared to fly. Im sure hearing the heartbeat is the sweetest sound youve ever heard in your life. Take it easy over the holidays!

Shan said...

we will! thank you so much for all of your love and support!! it really means the world to us!

Bandia12 said...

Aww I'm so glad that things are going well and that you gained a few days :). I bet hearing that HB was just amazing, I can't wait to hear my LO's. I'm so happy that you and the LO are doing well, and I hope that your HR goes back down. :)