Without much of anything happening yesterday or today (aside from T and C setting up the crib after dinner tonight!! Woohoo!!), I thought that I'd take a minute to discuss some of the things that I've mentally checked off my own list.
Tennis Ball
We learned at class this week that a tennis ball can do wonders when rolled across your back, to help with muscle relaxation as well as back labour, and can give Daddy's hand a break after Mommy squishes it too much!!
Stress Ball
I know that it's not going to be super effective to crush C's hand for the duration of some of the contractions. Realistically, he may be at work when they start! So...my backup will be a stress ball - but a firm one so that it doesn't give too easily!
Ipod
I'm already starting to go through all of the tunes that I have on there, get rid of the abundance of Christmas music I have (sorry K! I promise to have it back on for when Christmas rolls around, and vow to start playing those songs on December 1st!) and put on my guided meditation CD's to help with my focus and visualization.
Wembley
Yes, from Fraggle Rock. My Dad gave it to me when I was pretty little and he used to "steal" it all of the time. It was sort of our little inside joke and I've taken him to many a university exam, job interview and even Dad's funeral. I think I even held onto him while getting my hair done for our wedding!

Slippers
I had thought about bringing my cute bootie slippers that C got me for Christmas...you know, the ones that look knitted with the tie at the top and pom poms at the sides? Well...after hearing birthing stories and whatnot on Tuesday night at class, I think a trip to Walmart for some cheap-and-cheerful slippers that can be thrown away prior to bringing baby home from the hospital is in order!
My Pillow
I know that might sound a little crazy, maybe even anal...but it just seems so comforting to me to be able to sleep with my own pillow after he's born. Like a little piece of home.
Dad's blue-striped sweater
Again, just one of those comfort things. Anyone who knows me very very well will know the exact sweater that I'm talking about. I'm actually thinking about taking a bump picture in it, because I have a picture of my Dad wearing it (approx. in 2003/4) all zipped up, belly and all. Whenever I feel really down in the dumps, sick, lonely...that's the sweater that I reach for. It provided alot of comfort in the 1st trimester when I was battling morning-sickness and dehydration.
Blow dryer, hair products, straightener etc.
Again, I know it sounds ridiculous and I likely won't care what I look like in pictures after he's here, because really...come on...it's about him! But what if I do care? What if my hair is an uncontrollable mess from a ridiculously long labour and all I want to do, rather than sleep when he's sleeping, is have a shower and do my hair to feel like a human being? I'd much rather have my gear with me than not!
Obviously, there are more things that need to be packed like clothes for me and Bug, tooth brush/paste, bathing suits (for showers during contractions if that comfort measure works once we're there), snacks for C, diaper bag gear - but the list above are sort of my "in addition to..." essential items. They are things that I can't imagine not having there (right now anyhow) and things that will hopefully help me to stay calm, feel like a human being and be in the best positive mood that I can be throughout what is going to be the hardest experience of my life!
2 comments:
You are far more organized than I was with either kid! Bravo to you! I'm not sure if the stress ball was your idea or something you read somewhere else but I'd suggest leaving it out b/c it's a much better idea to try to relax through a contraction ... they hurt WAY more when you get tense and all clenched. Did you see my comment below re: a doula?
Yes! Sorry it's been a crazy week and by the time I get home and remember to check comments, I'm pooped!! We've briefly talked about the Doula thing, as well as having H there since she's an RMT and keeps me very calm in times of stress.
Not too sure what we're going to do - Colin is very focused on his position as the support person and feels very much that this is an experience that only a man and wife should share. I also know that I get easily stressed when there are too many people around, so I think that having just one person to focus in on would help.
Still lots of time to decide what is going to work for us, and thankfully H has taken some Doula courses and has been a huge support throughout the pregnancy - and she'll be right down the hall!! lol
The stress ball was suggested by our prenatal coach - sort of a distraction measure, and also a comfort measure for both the mom and dad when they get hand cramps and whatnot.
Post a Comment