Oh last night was a bit of an ordeal. Since our prenatal classes are on Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30, we literally rush home from work, throw something together for dinner while we get changed, scarf down our dinner and head out to class.
Last night, a bit of a wrench was thrown in our routine. I fell down the stairs. Not the huge set of stairs from our 2nd floor family room to the kitchen landing, but the little 5 step set from the kitchen landing to the tiled garage door entry...and all of them. I don't even know what happened...it all just happened so fast. I had put on my coat and turned to go down the stairs, but fell down them instead.
I landed on the right side of my lower back/butt, mid back and my right forearm smashed against the stairs. Talk about Ouch! Thankfully, C was right there and got down on the floor with me. I cried...more so out of fear that I had hurt the baby than out of pain (at that point anyhow!). Once he got me to take a few deep breaths and lifted me off the floor (I kind of felt like a wet noodle), we set off to Prenatal Class.
Last night's class was interesting and I found really helpful (even though I spent the first hour kick counting...from 6:30-7:30 he kicked 32 times...the average kicks/hour {per Dr. Jordan} is 7...so he's fine from my fall and doing just fine today as well! I'm very happy to feel his ninja like moves today!). It was very much centered around birth plans, how plans can change, comfort measures that we specifically want to employ during labour and delivery, and Postpartum.
I've already talked about our birth plan and the techniques that I would like to use like meditation, relaxation and music...so I won't revisit that topic right now. The thing that I was most looking forward to last night was the information about Postpartum...specifically about Postpartum Depression Disorder.
My paternal grandfather, Grandpa Ken, had bipolar disorder and our family has a history of depression, anxiety etc. so I was just itching for more information about how family history can impact PPD. While it definitely puts me into a higher risk category, and C knows now the signs of things to watch for once Bug is here to make sure that I'm okay (or recognize when/if I'm not), it was nice to be able to talk about fears and concerns in an open forum.
First and foremost, our nurse told me that it's great that I know about my family history with depression, that I recognize that it puts me at higher risk and that I'm already bonding with Bug so much. I have to make a mental note (actually, make that put on my monthly Q&A list for our dr's appointment on March 30th) to mention this to Dr. Jordan so that he's aware and we knows what signs to look for etc. once Bug is born, or if I find myself becoming detached before he's here (which I can't imagine, but I'm sure can happen at any point!).
Once we were home, I was looking forward to LOST and then some sleep. Even though I'm mighty thankful that Bug's so active and continued to be active after the fall, I really really would have liked to have gotten some sleep last night. He kicked sonsistently from 3:30am-5:20am, when I was finally able to get somewhat comfortable to fall asleep. It seems to have amplified the pain in my back and arm, though. I only have a small bruise on my arm...so far...and hopefully it stays that way.
Thank God Bug's okay!
2 comments:
Oh no, I'm so sorry you fell down the stairs hun! I'm glad you're okay!
I know Carter was active like your LO and this baby girl is just as crazy in there! I absolutely love it, but sometimes it's hard to relax or get some sleep. Mama needs a break ;)
Mama definitely does need a break! I can only imagine how much of a spazz he's going to be when I go for the GD test this afternoon!
I think a bubble bath is in order for this evening! Lordy, my back hurts!
Post a Comment