Friday, May 21, 2010

Labour 101

Well...I come to you bright and early this morning, more so to distract myself from what's going on and to kill time before our doctor's appointment this morning.

You see...last night I had a lot of contractions. And when I say alot, I mean averaging at around 9 per hour, timeable at 8-10minute intervals and with pain so severe that I was screaming and swearing from where I lay on the couch. From the hours of 6:00pm EST to 11:30pm EST, I wanted to kill someone, and was looking toward C as a possible victim.

I love him...I love him...I love him. If I had to hear the phrase "but the book says not to go to L&D until the contractions are 5 minutes apart, and you're only at 8 minutes" one more time, I was liable to throw something at him. Ya, C?? What about those contractions between 6:00-7:00 that were 5 minutes or less apart? What about the feeling that someone is stabbing me from the inside? Doesn't the book say to go when the contractions get too much to handle? Well, dear, this is too much to handle!

Once the hockey game was over, and he had showered and changed, gathered the rest of my things like my glasses in case of C-section, blackberry charger, LOST season 3, I asked to go for a walk. Okay cool, let's walk it out...maybe it will speed things up, maybe it won't.

So we walked...and walked...and walked a little further. The first contraction came at about 14minutes, then 8minutes, 6...5....3....1! Holy Lord...this is happening was all that was running through my brain. We got back home, C took the virtual tour on the hospital website again to we we would know where to go etc. Even if it turned out to be nothing, I would still have my mind at ease, right?

Well...then the contractions slowed. I was still really crampy, but they went from 2 minute intervals to 20...25...40 minute intervals. C suggested that we go to bed, and in hindsight he was right to stay calm, monitor me and even though I hated him in the moment for it, not rush to the hospital unnecessarily.

I'm sure that he got more sleep than I, but I was at least able to sleep until waking up with more intense cramping at 4:30. I lie awake until about 5:08 with the cramping, tossing and turning and it hurting every time I did. I think I got another hour of sleep, but woke up to cramping again at 6:08...so I gave up and here I sit. I have had a few more dull contractions since, so I will have to keep an eye on that this morning.

Hopefully we find something out at the doctor's today...if not, I don't think I should be held accountable for my actions. There will be a madwoman on the loose in SouthWestern Ontario, and she's very pregnant and liable to harm someone.

At least this was accomplished yesterday...



Who knew it was so easy to put four wheels on a stroller, and get it unfolded?



Getting this one was another story! But...I did it and we're all set to go.

No comments: