Friday, May 14, 2010

Push Presents

I'm going for a frivolous, ridiculous post today to try and take my mind off counting down the hours....minutes....seconds to 4pm when we get to go see the doctor and get a status report. Bug hasn't been moving too much this morning, I've been trying to kick count, drink juice and eat little by little, but it seems that I have no appetite and he's staying as quiet as can be. Oh well...we're nearing the end and won't be counting kicks, but hearing cries, very soon!

Push Presents are a bone of contention on The Bump, and really...I don't get what the issue it. If Dad wants to get mom a gift to say "wow, you're amazing and I love you so incredibly much for carrying our son/daughter and putting your body through hell for 10 months"...why is that bad? I know that it's not for everyone, but I really do not understand the strong, negative opinions about it scattered throughout the message boards.

Personally, I think the term push present is a little ridiculous, if not slightly disgusting. However, I do not think that the idea of a push present is bad. Not whatsoever!

I actually thought months and months ago about getting myself something to congratulate....celebrate....me for having made it through 10 months of very hard work.

5 months of those 10 were spent throwing up multiple times a day, crawling on the floor to the bathroom and losing a total of 21.5lbs.

2 trips to the hospital, one of which was very scary and put life into a whole new perspective for both C and I.

Countless trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night...

A ridiculous amount of tears (especially recently) over the silliest things, including but not limited to commercials, not having peanut butter in the house, ruining dinner, feeling self conscious over my not-so-perfectly-round bump and receiving negative comments about it...oh, I could go on for ages with the cause of my tears over the past 10 months!

You see...I don't think it's bad...or wrong...for a mom to want a little gift, a token of appreciation, at the end of those 10 months. I had always intended on getting myself that little gift, tightly wrapped in a little blue box. Is it necessary? Absolutely not! But...it would be nice.

It got me thinking a few months back...what about Dad? Certainly, C has gone through all of this with me and while he hasn't experience the same physical pain that I seem to be in everyday, he has been there for all of the emotional ups and downs, trips to the hospital, dealt with my tears and been my backbone through these 10 months, and even prior to the beginning of our pregnancy journey when we weren't sure it was ever going to happen.

Therefore, I make it my mission today to get off my butt and out of my comfies...to go in search of his gift. Something to say thank-you for being there for me, for reading to Bug most every night, for painting the nursery to my very specific requirements, for staying strong when I felt like my world was ending...for being my rock. (queue the waterworks...)

I've had the perfect gift in mind for months, and while I can't tell you all what it is here since he reads our blog daily, it is something that I know he will certainly enjoy and appreciate, something that I would not typically ever spend money on...but that is perfect for celebrating this milestone in our lives. I hope he likes it as much as I think he will!!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Who thinks it's their business to make a negative comment about your bump?! I want names and numbers!

I think if presents are your thing then a 'push present' or whatever you want to call it is a nice touch. It's not my thing, nor D's, so we didn't do that. Having D tell me, and hearing him tell others, how awesome I was in labour was more than enough (honestly!). Plus nothing beats the real present ... your healthy baby in your arms!

SSG said...

I'm totally with you on the push presents...I don't understand why Bumpies get all up in arms about it. If your DH wants to get you a present, so be it, its nobody's business but your own! DH is getting me a push present, I'm not getting him one, but his 30th bday is in the same month and he's already having a mid-life crisis about it probably being forgotten because of the baby, so I have something in the works.