I'm not sure...you'd have to ask someone who wasn't having contractions and crushing her husband's hand every 10 minutes!
Last night's date night started off fantastically. Dinner at Boston Pizza and then off to the movies. It was funny when we couldn't figure out what movie we saw in theatres last...Transformers2 maybe? Wow...that was last summer!
I was so excited to go to the movies...and made sure to get an aisle seat on the off chance that Bug nudged my bladder.
Pretty much as soon as the previews started, the contractions and back pain started. It's okay...nothing out of the ordinary...let C know to time them in case they get down under 10 minutes. The first couple were more like Braxton Hicks than anything else, so it wasn't too bad. Trying to be funny, C leaned over and said "Honey...I paid $23 for these tickets..." har har...always the funny guy!
Then a few later and the pain was shooting in my back. Go time? I don't know...but I all but crushed C's hand in the process of having these back contractions. The pain was constant and would sear during a uterine contraction...which were coming every 10-15 minutes.
By the end of the movie, which we'll have to rent once it comes out on DVD since I don't remember most of the key points (I think it was good??), I was sitting there in tears because I couldn't even stand up. C helped me and suggested that we go home, try a half an hour with ice on my back and tailbone (I could feel Bug bash against my pelvic bones and really tear something up in there), and get on all fours over my yoga ball.
I cried the entire way home, which probably didn't make things any better but it was a good emotional release for me, and needed help up the stairs. Once I was over the ball, the pain immediately got worse and I was to the point where I couldn't breathe or focus on anything but the pain. I couldn't feel the ice on my back, it hurt for C to rub or put counter pressure there (I actually screamed at him to stop touching my back, between sobs), and rocking on my hands and knees was not helping in the slightest. I was screaming at the top of my lungs and crying harder than I have in a very long time.
C called into L&D to see what we should do...is the baby coming? Is all of the tailbone/back pain worth trying to manage at home or should we get in? 3cm dilated with a posterior baby? I certainly was (am....) worried that the stress on my body is too much at this point, and I fear for the safety of my baby. He conveyed all of that to the nurse he spoke with at around 11pm, and was told that unless my uterine contractions were 3-5 minutes apart, they would give me something to take the edge off the pain, but would send me home.
What about the posterior position? What about my concern for the safety of my child? What about the stress on my body? According to C, the nurse brushed all of that off and was rather cold about the entire situation.
I really wish that people would realize that every pregnancy is different...there is no textbook answer about how things will happen...only how they should happen.
I was so exhausted and still in pain, and knowing that L&D wouldn't do anything and feeling very much an inconvenience to them, I went to bed. Every time I rolled over, I had a strong contraction and clutched my belly. However, they weren't regular enough to do anything about according to the powers that be.
Today has been another day of off and on strong contractions, and constant back pain that spreads down into my tailbone. I puttered in the gardens to distract myself a little and we had a nice dinner with C's parents. The back pain is constant, and I can't help but think that the pain, pressure and stress that my body is under right now is putting stress on the baby. It scares me.
What if it turns into a complication? What if there is a reason why he's turned posterior, like his head is too big to get into the birth canal or break my water? What if he's under so much stress that he's not okay?
That being said, I've decided that enough is enough, and I'm calling the doctor in the morning. I can't take this anymore...my body has suffered too much and it's not worth risking the safety and health of my baby. I'm hopeful that they'll at least move my appointment to earlier in the week, though getting in tomorrow to figure out induction and whatnot is the primary goal. It's pretty clear at this point that my body can't get into an active labour pattern on its own and needs some assistance...and that I need some pain medication to get me through this.
Some things in life are worth risking...this isn't one of them.
6 comments:
I've been following this whole process of yours since maybe somewhere in your 3rd trimester. I keep checking to see if you've gone into labor or not. I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope you find some relief and are able to meet your healthy boy soon.
Thanks marielle (I definitely remember you from GP!) - dr's at 4pm est today
Hey there! I have been thinking of you (SnowflakeBride06). Hang in there! I hope bug comes soon, back pain is miserable!!!
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time, hun! I really hope you can get an appointment tomorrow and get an induction date for THIS week!
He'll be here soon!!!
Snowflake!!! helllo there dear! I will post an update in a second
ack! Bryn''s boyfriend is going to be here soon! posting in a sec
Post a Comment