I have finally heard back from Gaetane, the lactation consultant and public health nurse who covers my area of the city.
The past few days have been...trying. Owen has had some very fussy moments, my emotions have been rather out of control, and C and I are trying to work together and remember that all 3 of us are still learning how to do this family and parenting thing.
I'd bee waiting since Monday evening to hear from Gaetane. When she didn't call by noon on Wednesday, I left her a friendly voicemail asking that she call me as soon as possible so that we could figure things out.
She called on Wednesday, in the early evening...while I was in the car, in traffic, with a screaming baby in the background who had just pooped for the first time in about 2.5 days and was not happy about waiting to have his diaper changed. I was frustrated and crying. Of course that's when she calls!
She left a voicemail with a few tips and pointers, but said that she would speak with me on Friday after the Canada Day holiday to get into more details about what I will need to do to increase my supply.
Last night, at around 9pm I think it was, she gave me a shout and these pointers.
Fenugrek
She had told me about this in the voicemail, so I'd been drinking this God awful tea since about Tuesday night that tastes like black licorice. Ew. Yuck. Gross. I told her that I'd been drinking the tea, and she said that it won't be effective enough unless I am going to drink tea and only tea all day long. Apparently, there is a health food store near my house that sells Fenugrek capsules. I will have to take 3 capsules at breakfast, lunch and dinner, for a total of 9 capsules per day.
Blessed Thistle
Now, I have no idea what this is, but Gaetane said that I will have to take this with the Fenugrek and that my milk supply will increase significantly within 72 hours. Again, 3 capsules at breakfast, lunch and dinner, for a total of 9 per day.
Yes...that's 18 capsules per day all together. Ugh.
Oatmeal
Apparently, for some reaosn, eating oatmeal everyday has been known to increase ilk supply. Not sure why, but at least it's a tasty whole grain option for breakfast. This one will be easy to work into the daily routine!
Double Breast Pump
She mentioned this in her voicemail as well. Currently, I am using the Medela MiniElectric...which isn't good enough to be exclusively pumping. I mean, it gets the ob done, but it's not effective as increasing supply, stimulating the letdown period in breastfeeding, or mimicking the massage of a newborns chin and suck.
The catch is that this double pump comes at a hefty price. C and I looked into renting a pump from Cheeky Monkey, and the cost for the next 6 months is roughly $630. To purchase the pump after rental, since it's hospital grade, is $2000. To purchase the commercial pump of the same brand is $235. Seems like a no brainer to us.
However, there are other places in the city that rent double pumps, so my mission for Saturday is to call around to check on price and availability. Then, I'll be going off to get the pump.
Gaetane said that I should be good to rent one for 10 days, and then can move to a good single pump. Looks like the Medela MiniElectric is going to be coming to a Kijiji or Ebay near you for resale!
All in all, it was a good conversation, and she is coming out to visit on Monday at 11am. Since she's a public health nurse, there are other things that she can deal with and help me through, like the anxiety it fills me to get Owen back on the breast (something that she really wants me to try, with the help of breastshields to protect myself and the breastfeeding clinics every Wednesday. I'm not so sure I want to, but it's something that she and I can discuss further on monday) and some of the feelings on inadequacy that surround this breastfeeding issue, as well as the personal stress load that I am carrying from other places.
I know that I can do this, and my body has been showing signs over the past couple of days of being able to, it's just a very long go of it right now. It's rather draining to pump every 3 hours, and keep up with feeding Owen, as well as all of the other responisbilities around the house. I know...laundry can wait...but it grinds my gears to just have it sitting there sometimes.
For now though, my mission is to shop around to compare prices of double breast pump rentals to that of purchasing the $235 one at Cheeky Monkey, and to get, and start taking immediately, the herbal supplements.
I'm like the Little Engine that Could. I just won't give up on this.
I think I can, I think I can.
4 comments:
Good luck to you! I have the Medela Pump in Style double electric pump we bought and used for less than a week. We paid $300 for it at Target and have been trying to sell it for far less than that (around $200 or best offer). Hopefully you can find something for cheaper to rent, but if not let me know if you are interested!
I definitely understand the stress and frustration of pumping ever 2-3 hours while still feeding & changing the baby and taking care of household chores. It is beyond exhausting. It sounds like you are doing a great job, you just have to remember that yourself! I also understand the fear you have of trying to get Owen back on the breast. I tried a couple times with the breast shield and he did perfect when the LC was here, but wanted nothing to do with it when she left. Eventually it wore me down and I just couldn't do it anymore. My child was hungry and could not latch on properly, so why keep forcing the issue when it made him incredibly upset and frustrated?
That is only my experience though, you have to do what you feel is best. I keep telling you this, but just know that you aren't alone! Oh & I hope the LC told you the Fenugreek will make you smell like maple syrup! :)
haha ya she told me that my milk would be sweet like maple syrup and that i would smell like maple syrup as well. I suppose there are worse things to smell like!
I'm really not sure about getting him back to breastfeeding. I don't mind pumping, and definitely think that a double is the way to go to maximize what I acn pump in a given time period, and to free up some time for myself.
I found a used Ameda Purely Yours pump on kijiji for $100, and would just have to get the hygenekit for it, which is another $40. Pretty darn good deal, and I would sell the Medela MiniElectric I think.
Fingers crossed that the seller gets back to me soon, so I can get started with the double pump. I've already taken 3 Fenugreek's and 3 Blessed Thistles...we'll see what happens!
that is a great deal on the pump! I hope the supplements help you!
Good luck! I am sure everything will work out!!
Post a Comment