And not the basseball kind either!
C and I were out at the Club last night for dinner (oh the Club....another post for another day, the people there are....interesting to say the least) and up comes a couple of people that I recognize but I don't really know.
They were ooozing with excitement to see Owen for the first time. Then came the dreaded question from Mrs. I-don't-know-who...Are You Nursing.
Again, I barely know these people. I know that some out there are totally not offended by randomites asking if you're breastfeeding or not...but I am one who thinks that it is rather delicate and personal information. Yes, I know I'm extra sensitive because of the challenges that I've faced, but it's like going up to someone and asking them if they had a bowel movement that day. It's not something I would ever ask anyone else, so why would I tolerate it being asked of me?
I simply answered "No!" in a very cheerful way, and C tried to change the subject with the other woman...but HOLY awkward silence! You could just tell that Mrs. I-dont-know-who would have responded "Oh good! that's just great!" if I had of said that I was breastfeeding...and that she was judging me and looking down on me for saying no.
I don't get it. He's a happy boy...10lbs3oz of happiness, who giggles and smiles (starting yesterday!). What the hell is the big deal?
You never know someone's circumstance...what if he was a premmie who couldn't breastfeed for medical reasons? What would her response have been then? Big awkward, judging silence? What if she knew about all of the complications, and the depression? What then?
I really wish people would mind their own business and not be so concerned with what everyone else is doing, including how I'm chooseing to nourish my son!
See...he's happy!!

3 comments:
I'm pretty honest when people ask..."Well, I did for about a month, but then I just couldn't produce anymore..."...And i get a lot of "oh yeah, that can happen"..and.."oh yeah, i had to supplement too"...but I always throw in that I just didn't make enough because it makes me feel better-as in, there was an actual reason i wasn't still nursing...not just because i didn't want to!
I am mostly a lurker, but remember you from TTGP. I am 30 weeks pregnant right now, and honestly, after many conversations with DH, am leaning very very heavily toward formula feeding from the start. The thing about it that petrifies me more than anything else is the pressure I'll get and knowing I'll be looked down upon. I am sorry you got that reaction from someone. It is nobody's business why you are doing what you are doing. I agree with you 100% that people don't know circumstances and judge too quickly. All that matters is that you are content in the way you are providing for YOUR child.
Hmmm....what was your sn on TTGP?!
If you can do it, even if only for the first 6 wks, that's awesome because then your bambino is getting all of the antibodies and whatnots for his/her immune system.
However...if you don't...that's totally awesome too! Don't let ANYONE persuade you one way or the other. You know what's best, and the bond you establish with your babes at feeding time is awesome!
Post a Comment