Problem
Poor milk supply, primarily due to stress on my body and a poor breastfeeding experience shortly after Owen was born. It also took longer than expected for my milk to come in, and I was still getting only small amounts of colostrum 5-7 days post-delivery. Currently, I am getting close to (if not a full) 1oz from the left breast, and 5-20ml from the right.
Solution
Exclusively pump as Owen will not get enough at each feeding if I were exclusively breastfeeding. Supplement with formula and ensure he gets 2-3 breastmilk feedings a day. Work with a lactation consultant. Take fenugreek and blessed thistle supplements, as well as Omega3. Pump every 2-3 hours as if still breastfeeding, with a double electric pump.
Pumps to Review
Medela MiniElectric - $134.99 Cdn

Features
Battery, AC Adapter or manual pump
2 replacement valves
1 collection bottle, with nipple and cap
Pros
Small and lightweight
Suction control dial on side of pump
Can pump on the go with battery power
Cons
Drains batteries...fast
Loud, especially when on AC power
Not strong enough for frequent daily use
Not recommended to increase milk supply
Stiff plastic breastshield is not super comfortable
Comes with 24mm breastshield, not recommended for larger breasts (had to purchase 27mm breastshield)
Overall Review
It's an allright pump, but I would only recommend it if you aren't going to be pumping exclusively. If you only need to go at it once and a while, say to pump for a babysitter or omething for a date night, then it's totally fine. It's a little loud, but if you're in another room, it's not overly intrusive to others around you. Since it's a single pump, it takes double the time. If you have the time to give, not an issue. If you're a busy on the go mom...this probably isn't the pump for you.
Ameda Purely Yours Double Electric Pump - $100 used mechanical unit, $60 hygeinekit Cdn ($235 new)

Features
Single or double pumping
AC, battery and car adapters
6 collection bottles
2 extra valves
Pros
Double pumping
Quiet
Various suction and speed levels
Cons
Purchased used...and it stopped working
25mm hard plastic breastshields, not build for the well endowed
Takes 6 AA batteries
Overall Review
To be honest, this pump is fantastic in my opinion. I would have kept it for sure and would still be using it today if it hadn't lost suction. It's a little heavy, 6lbs I think, but comes with a carry-all bag for all of the bottles and attachments...though I didn't have the chance to use it and am not sure I would have anyhow. I was excited about the car adapter option...making road trips a breeze! If you have the money to spend on a really great double pump, I would recommend this one...but buy it new! Thankfully, this kijiji seller is willing to give me a full refund!!
The First Years miPump Double - $99 Cdn

Features
Flex-fit breastshields
8 suction speeds
Electric or battery operated
Stylin carry bag
Pros
Comes with a cross bar that connects both collection units, so you have one hand free
Quiet
Breastshields are made of a flexible plastic to ensure a more comfortable fit
Very lightweight, approximately 1lb.
Cons
Well...I've only had it for about half of the day, so none yet!
Overall Review
By far, I like this pump the best...for a few reasons. It's super quiet, and the crossbar is awesome. You connect the two collection bottle pump parts, and then have one hand free to do whatever you need! Blog...text...tend to a fussy baby. The suction doesn't get super strong, but I actually like that because then there is no nipple irritation or discomfort. I also love the flex-fit breast shields. They almost massage the breast with the vibration of the suction from the pump, which has helped my milk flow a little better this afternoon during pumping sessions that have typically produced the least milk. If you're looking for a double pump, and don't want to shell out $300+ for a top of the line model, this one is FANTASTIC!
There you have it! 3 pumps in review...and one strong winner! I am very pleased with the miPump that I picked up today, and it definitely goes to show that the more expensive models aren't always the best ones. In hindsight, I wish I had of gotten a double pump before Owen was born, but who would have known that my body would have been under so much stress from previous issues and a complicated pregnancy that milk production would be an issue?!
I guess at the end of the day, you will know the pump that is best for your needs and your comfort level. If you're well endowed, I would recommend that you look for a pump with flexible breastshields, or at least breastshields that come in a variety of sizes so you can get the right fit. If you're planning on pumping alot (more than once a day), I would say go for the double...then you're only pumping 10minutes every 2-3 hours rather than 20minutes, and then clean up etc.
At the end of the day though, you'll know what's best for you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Pumping is breastfeeding, and that's the important part! Stick with it and stay true to yourself, even if that means switching to formla sooner than you'd like, supplementing with formula, or getting your babes back on the breast. You know what's best!
No comments:
Post a Comment