Thursday, July 15, 2010

Spelling Success

Good morning! Do you remember reading something about ginormous boobs due to increased milk production yesterday?

Well...around here we spell success in numbers.

2oz.

That's right! 2 OUNCES!!!

As Owen hit the 4week mark, my boobs seem to have finally figured out what they're supposed to do! Since switching to the new miPump, I have consistently been getting between 40-60ml per pumping session...even in the afternoon when I don't produce a lot!

I still seem to get the most in the wee hours of the morning, and very late at night when I'd really rather be sleeping...but I trudge on and pump knowing that it will give Owen that much more, and even sometimes enough for another feeding session. Now, instead of it taking 3 puming sessions to get a bottle for Owen (3 sessions = 7-9ish hours!), I can get a bottle in 2 sessions!

The left is still the primary producer, and it's hilarious...or weird...because it's so much bigger than the right when done filling up with milk. The right...well...it's still struggling, but sometimes I can get almost a full ounce out of it. It really depends on the day, what we're doing, how relaxed I am and how long it has been since I pumped.

The thing that has amazed me the most, I think, is that there is the constant tingling pain of letdown. Typically, the letdown reflex (which is the involuntary ejection of milk...aka...leaking) only happens when the breasts are full and the milk needs to be released. For me...it feels like that it all of the time! Encouraging, to a point...but it should stabilize within a couple of weeks once my milk supply is really established and on the right track.

Until then, there will be extra breast pads and an extra shirt in Owen's diaper bag.

So, trudge on I shall! It's been a month of this craziness, but I'm getting into a routine of change a diaper, feed a baby and pump the boobs. It only takes 10 minutes, and now that I have the miPump with handlebar, I can feed Owen at the same time as pumping if I need to.

All in all, I'll chalk these 2oz. (2 ounces!!!) up as one big success!

1 comment:

Synchrosally said...

Yay for 2 ounces! I have the constant let down pain too. It sucks. I really just want my supply to slow down some so I don't have to nurse with a towel AND a burp cloth! R commented the other night that it looked like my boob was sitting down to a meal as I tucked a burp cloth into my bra for a feed.