Time for a little rant and rave.
Last week, Owen and I met C, Nana and Papi out at the Club after their round of golf for a little dinner. As always, there seemed to be a never ending flow of well wishers and baby watchers coming our way, most of whom were awesome and fell in love with our little Monster pretty immediately.
Well...then there was a lady, we'll call her Mrs. Too-Outspoken for our purposes (plus I don't even know her name), who came over all excited to see the new Szem. I kid you not, her words were...
Oh my! He's a real chunker!
Excuse me? Did you just call my kiddo fat?! He's 2 1/2 months old, about 26"-30" at this point, and probably about 15lbs. He's a big kid, but by no means is he a chunker.
Everyone at our table chuckled and made it seem like no big deal. I tried very hard to bite my tongue, but I'm getting really tired of everyone saying how big he is, insinuating that he's fat.
She didn't stop there, though. Somehow the topic of sleeping through the night came up, and we said that he's not quite there yet, he usually wakes up at about 3am. We did not in any way insinuate that he wakes up for a bottle.
That's because he's a chunker and he's used to his food!
Okay...enough lady.
a) my kid is NOT a chunker, and I said as much when she was going back to her own table
b) he wakes up out of habit, not to be fed necessarily as he only drinks 3oz. at most in the middle of the night
c) you're a jerk
7 comments:
some people have no class. i would have been upset too. i pump for my daughter and she's still waking up every two hours at 3 1/2 months, and i am tired of people telling me to give her pablem. When she's ready to sleep longer she will. and she actually does eat every time she wakes up. i see no issue with this.
I have no idea why people are constantly telling me Collin is huge. He's built just like Owen...long and lean. Yet, his cheeks are so big, or his thighs are huge..or look at those rolls. He's not overweight at all! Maybe it's because they have nothing else to say...or anytime you see a baby, are you supposed to say "he's so huge!"...lame i say. Lame.
I wonder what she would say about my 15 pounder who still gets up to eat in the middle of the night! Should we then starve our children? Jeese. Some people.
If he's getting up in the middle of the night to eat than that means he needs to. I fed Ethan twice a night (about one and five) until he was nine months old. I was breastfeeding and always worried that he wasn't getting enough milk. I got to a point that I had to take him to bed with me because I just couldn't get my head off the pillow...I'm sure chasing Autumn around during the day had something to do with that. I remember all too well the nurses at the nursing clinics telling me that a baby at seven months shouldn't need to wake up and eat at night. I think part of it is that they aren't necessarily hungry but rather thirsty. Ethan still wakes up about every four hours to get a drink of water and then he goes back to bed. I wouldn't worry about his weight unless your doctor seems to think that it's a problem. On the plus side, I saw him last weekend and didn't find him "chunky" at all. He reminded me a lot of my little guy and he's only at the 30% for his weight today;)
lol thanks ladies! Some people just really piss me off with their unsolicited opinion = esp. people I don't even know!
(stalking from Jenni's blog)...
Everyone keeps telling me Lexie's too small and I must not be feeding her enough, she's bf and eats quite a bit and is gaining; and her dr is happy!! I'm not sure which is worse, I do (however) wish people would think before they speak!
Mel - you're welcome to stalk me from Mrs.Jenni anytime!
Poeple certainly should think before speaking - they often don't realize how simple comments like that really offend a new mom and make them feel....insignificant? inadequate? just down right like crap...
me thinks I shall start stalking your blog too! :)
Post a Comment