Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tiko is Sick

I've put off posting about this because it's something that gets me incredibly emotional.

Tiko, our male cat, is sick.

We had noticed that he was getting really thin, and while he's never been one to really groom himself overly well...he's sort of wasting away to a sack of bones and matter fur.

Last Monday night, I went to clip his claws and noticed that two on the right paw, and three on the left were actually embedded into the pads of his paws. Immediately, C called the vets as soon as they were open the next day, and we were able to get him in to see Dr. Tucker on Wednesday at noon.

Well...Dr. Tucker took one look at our little guy, and started asking questions.

a) under any stress? Yes, we have a 5 month on (today!)
b) eating less? yes...
c) drinking less? no! He's a water FIEND!
d) behavioural changes? no! He's a crazy, lovable, wonderful cat!

Dr. Tucker looked at Tiko's gums, which are white. They should be a rosy posey pink. Not good.

After much discussion with the vet about the water fetish, Tiko's gums, lack of self-care...it was pretty clear that we had a very sick kitty on our hands.

They took care of the claws, which Tiko did remarkably well through, and drew blood.

On Friday, I called the vet for the results. They are testing him for renal failure, feline leukemia, anemia's and blood disorders, as well as liver issues.

Everything came back normal, except for his kidneys.

Tiko is in stage three kidney failure.

Once getting all of the information from Dr. Tucker, I took one look at C and burst into tears. I found Tiko while volunteering at the London Humane Society back in 2006. He had been there for nearly a year when I finally convinced C to come and look at this crazy cat.

He has the temperament of a dog; always at your side, and under your feet. He comes when called, purrs up a storm when getting some lovin', tolerates being "pet" (aka pulled and hit) by a 5month old and has a weird affinity for water...which is now explained by the kidney failure.

Right now, we're doing all that we can to help him. I guess in a way, we sort of feel like we owe it to him to give him the best life that we can. He came to the shelter through their investigations department and was taken out of a very abusive home (his tail even has bend in it from where it was slammed in a door). He seriously is the sweetest cat ever.
He's on medication twice a day, and we're going to have to collect a urine sample to take to the vet's so they can assess the damage to his kidneys. Once that's done, we'll have some decisions to make.
It's not looking good, so I thought I'd take today to post about him...and post some pictures of him.

We love you Tiko!


I love him...such a character - winter 2009

Drinking momma's water...looking a little thin - summer 2010
Feeling right at home - winter 2006/07
Seriously...what cat chases a bee on TVO kids?! - spring 2008
Life...is...gooooood - spring 2007

4 comments:

SSG said...

I'm sorry about Tiko...pets are really like parts of your family...they are your "kids". Very cute pics, love the one of him in the fridge!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Shan, I know it's hard! Sending prayers for you and Tiko!!!

Shan said...

thanks ladies!!

Twirlie Whirlies said...

My heart goes out to you. I had to say goodbye to my Gage Kitty during my pregnancy with Sebastian 4 years ago. He was in his 16th year - I had adopted him from the Humane Society when I was in college and away from home. He was with me through 7 moves, a marriage, and literally everything in between! We slowly watched him decline over the course of several months until finally we had to let him rest. It was one of the most devistating decisions to make during what was supposed to be the happiest time of our lives, but I knew I was just being selfish - he was hurting because I didn't want to. He now lives in a beautiful urn in our family room surrounded by pictures of him. Sebastian never got to meet Gage, but he knows he is our family cat.

Tiko is gorgeous - enjoy every minute you have. He knows what you have done for him.