Okay...I need some advice.
I was at Walmart yesterday, and happened to glance around when at the checkout. I saw a child, approximately 21-24 months old, with a bottle. A BOTTLE! I quickly thought to myself "Gee...Owen's 7mo now...maybe it's time for the sippy cup??"
We have a couple of different ones (Tommee Tippee Explora, and Nuby No Spill Trainer), and he knows to hold the handles and where his mouth goes. He doesn't quite get that he has to tip it up to get anything out of it.
So, my questions are:
- what sippy cups do you have?
- do you like them?
- what time of day/meal do you offer them at/with?
- what do you put in them?
So far, when we've offered, we've put formula in them. I'm wondering about water and juice, and at meal times.
We're wanting him to get the hang of it, and start using the sippy cup primarily at meals...but is introducing it for snacks the way to go?
His current feeding schedule is:
10am - 8oz bottle of formula
1pm - 2 veggie cubes, 3 fruit cubes (sometimes mixed with homemade oatmeal cereal), 6oz bottle of formula
5pm - 2 veggie cubes, 1 meat cube, 2 fruit cubes, 6oz bottle of formula
8pm - 4oz bottle of formula
10pm - 8oz bottle of formula
We're going to be adjusting that slightly to allow for an early bedtime (another goal for this week) so...we/I am not really sure what to do!
HELP!
10 comments:
My kids were given the Playtex Sipsters with handles and they both liked those. They did not like the Avent sippy cups at all but I had a friend whose girls only wanted those. I think it's a personal preference of each kid (like a bottle nipple). I would strongly suggest that you only put water in the sippy cups. Juice, even watered down, is not good for teeth and if Owen acquires a taste for water early then there's never a need to give him juice (it's really high in sugar and contains none of the fibre that you get from eating the fruit itself).
Should also add that it's nice to save juice for when they're sick and not wanting to take liquids b/c it's a sweet treat that they're often willing to have instead of water.
that's a great idea for juice when they're sick!
Luckily, Owen actaully isn't a big fruit fan. He gets it because I feel it important for him to geta balanced diet etc.
We're trying with water for now...we'll see how it goes!
We use the Avent! along with avent bottles.. it doesn't matter to her if she likes it or not that's just what she gets.. lol
she get's her any time of day.. with water or half water half juice.. mainly water tho... i give it meal time or anytime i feel like giving it to her.. she's on no schedule.. just her own.. lol good luck Shan!
lol thanks love!
I've basically just let him play with it whenever he has been up today, with water. He seems to know that theres liquid in there because he'll fae plant onto it and suck the nipple while he pins it on the floor. lol
Both my kids would only drink out of sippy's that had straws. They couldn't figure out how to tip it back, but they were able to drink out of sippy's with a straw much earlier. and go with water, if they don't know how sweet juice is, they won't miss it! And my kids always got a sippy at lunch, dinner, and afternoon snack. I always offered the bottle before or after, but let them get used to the sippy during meals and snack. Good luck with the earlier bedtime!!
Thanks, Amanda! It was pretty funny to see Owen lean forward, pin the Sippy Cup on the ground and try to suck the nipple. I think straws might be in order lol
This might be a dumb question, but does Owen hold his own bottle? I don't know when to start Jack on sippys, he is only 6 months, but doesn't hold his own bottle yet. Sometimes he gets close, but its very inconsistent. Are there signs that I should look for to know when he is ready? Or do I just decide when I want to give it to him, ready or not?
Hey Shizz - He holds his bottle selectively...adn will reach/grab it when he wants it near - he just isn't so good with the tilting aspect yet. And sometimes, he'll get bored and let it fall.
I haven't really been looking for any signs - just sort of testing the waters and seeing if he will use it at all.
He's been doing allright with it today, but seems to like to chew on it rather than try and get a drink (though he did lift it and get some water while taking a break from playing this mroning! I was so proud!)
I think it's all trial and error to be honest!
Ethan didn't much like the sippy cup at all. We tried offering it with every meal but he wouldn't drink from it just kind of chewed on the tip. By eight months wouldn't take the bottle either so we just transitioned to a cup and it worked out great. Other than being really messy it was one less thing to wean him off of. Autumn loved her Nuby sippy cup and had a hard time kicking the habit when she was two and we wanted her to drink from a cup. Every kid is different. You just have to find what works best for them. Good luck;)
Post a Comment