Thursday, March 31, 2011
Goodbye, Tiko
I don't have many words today. We took Tiko to the vet yesterday afternoon, and found out that he was much sicker than we thought. End stage kidney failure, as well as anemic and some other issue that Dr. Tucker explained but I wasn't really listening at that point. Treatment would have been a permanent IV for fluids and an intense medication regime of four different medications per day...multiple times a day. We had to consider what type of life that would be for him...given that there was no chance he'd get better. If anything, he'd stay in the exact same shape, which wasn't very good at all. So...we said goodbye. Owen was there (which I'm sure some of you will think I'm crazy for, but they were buddies and I wanted Owen to say goodbye, even though he won't remember it) and gave him a pat before C took him out of the room. I stayed with Mr. T and had a snuggle while Dr. Tucker administered the sedative. I've had to do this with our family cat (Thomas Twiliger Thompson) and our pooch (Anthony Aloysius) and from experience have found most animals to twitch, seize, lose control of their bowels etc. Tiko was so peaceful. When the vet tech, Emily, brought him back in and put him on the exam table, he just curled up and rested his head on my hand. We had a snuggle and I told him that I loved him very much and was happy that we took him home from the Humane Society four years ago. Dr. Tucker got me some Kleenex and then checked for a heartbeat. Tiko was gone. (queue tears...) We'll miss you, Tiko Tobias!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am very sorry you had to put him down. May your hearts heal quickly. Losing a "pet" is so very very hard.
Makes me cry reading this Shan. He was more than a pet. He was family. You made the right decision. :O)
:::tears::
I'm so sorry for your loss Shan. May his spirit be with you always!
I'm so sorry....sounds like he is at peace
I am so sorry Shan. You guys definitely did the right thing and you will forever have memories of him and your little boy :)
Hugs!
thanks everyone - I really appreciate your words! :)
I'm so sorry. I just lost my kitty a few weeks ago, and it does get easier. We still miss him, and I cry for him often, my son and him were best friends and he brings me pictures of him, he's so sad he's gone. I just try to remind him of the good times, and how much fun they had together. I'm sending you all good thoughts during this awful time.
Post a Comment