Tiko's health has taken a turn for the worse. He hasn't peed in the litter box in weeks, perhaps even months, and his coat has become ridiculously matted. I check his gums today when giving him some renal health medication, and they're white. Not good.
I spent the day reasoning with myself. Am I selfish to want to send him to Heaven and release him from this life of pain because I am tired of cleaning up carpets and finding ruined bags/shoes/clothes/etc. from being peed on? Or am I selfish to not want to send him way up there, holding onto hope that he might (not likely) get better?
I feel relieved and yet saddened that Owen won't remember Tiko. He's his best friend! Whenever Tiko enters the room, Owen giggles and pulls him to the floor..."pets" him, and gets excited. Tiko...foolishly or not...always comes back for more.
They're buddies.
How can I take that from my son?
How can I not look into Tiko's eyes and see that his quality of life is hell right now, and that he needs relief?
I hate this.
4 comments:
Good luck Shan. It's one of the worst decisions to have to make. My heart goes out to you at least your little guy won't remember it.
Oh my...how sad and frustrating. It does sound like he is suffering...poor thing. Take as many pics of the 2 of them as you can...Owen can remember him through pictures :) I'm sure you'll make the right decision :) Thinking of you...
Oh. Too Sad.
Kelly
http://mommywriterhood.blogspot.com
thanks everyone. I'll post an update shortly.
Post a Comment