Monday, November 14, 2011

Book Review: UNMarketing by Scott Stratten

I finished another book on Friday night, so thought that I should get caught up in my book reviews.

Will I reach my 25 in 2011 goal? Probably not, but I'm still going to try!



C recommended that I read this book, given that I'm a twitt-a-holic (he calls me, and wrote book for our anniversary {even had it printed!}, Little Miss Twitter).

So...I gave it a read. While I was reading, I found myself saying YES! out loud, and even tweeting to Scott abotu how much sense he makes.

The book is really fantastic, and it's a great guide about how to properly use social media when you are representing a brand. It speaks about being authentic, not transparent, and engaging with people rather than being an auto-bot.

So true, and many of the strategies I have implemented with Sweet Stella's in my social media strategy.

There is one passage that really irked me. It's about stay-at-home-moms, rather the work-at-home-mom and how it should/could/is seen as a not-so-positive thing because who knows what you're really spending your time on. How much time if going to your paying client and how much to your child?

While I get the logic, I think it rude. Between the hours of 10am-3pm, my client is my beautiful son. 3pm-5pm, whoever wants to pay me to make party decor, stationery, masks and ornaments..I'm all yours! 5pm-7:20pm...my beautiful boy takes precedence over that. I wouldn't expect any other WAHM to be different...family first, and that's part of the reason why we decide to be a working-at-home-mama.

All in all, it's a great book...you just have to look past that one chapter, which for me was a difficult thing to do. Scott is a brilliant social media strategist and makes alot of sense with his claims...he just missed the mark about moms, and just how powerful we can be!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I hope it helps you with Sweet Stellas! :O)
I did a book review today too! Great minds think alike! ;)

Shan said...

it really had helped me understand the wide world of Twitter!

mel said...

I think it depends on the brand with the whole WAHM/SAHM in my opinion, I value your product more as a WAHM because I know you took time with ALL the details!

Shan said...

Thank Mel!!