I ave something that I need to start talking about, but Im not really sure how to begin...so...here goes.
My older brother is a drug addict.
I dont want to get into the nitty gritty (and trust me, it's gritty!) details of his addiction and what it's done to my family, but I do want to talk pretty openly about what it's like to have an addict around you.
His addiction is just that; his. It's been going on for quite a long time and Ive had to make some really difficult decisions.
Recently, its gotten really bad and recent choices and events have led me to reevaluate the impact that having an addict in your immediate family can have on you personally.
Maybe some of you out here can relate, maybe these posts are going to act like therapy. With the permission of my Mom, Im going to blog about it fairly regularly and talk about it from my side of things in the hopes that my insight might help someone else going through the same ordeal.
The first step in all of this is to find a support group, preferably at church, with people who can relate. The church that Ive been going to has a program called Celebrate Recovery. Its geared toward the actual addicts themselves, not necessarily the families.
When I was talking to the pastor, I asked if they had any support programs specifically for the families. I was shocked to learn that they currently do not. I found it shocking since they have a clear program for the addicts...but nothing for the family members.
So, Ive volunteered to start one.
Yup...use my pain to help others. Kinda my thing.
Ive written to the woman in charge if the Celebrate Recovery program to see if it would be possible to start this group...so...we'll see.
Like I said, these posts might be ramblings, but I think its something worth talking about
2 comments:
You are seriously so amazing! I know you will help a ton of people by what you are doing and I hope it helps you out as well!
Simply awesome, Shan. My dad is an alcoholic, so I can relate to having an addict in your life.
Post a Comment