Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Prenatal Class #4 - Fatherhood

And for some reason...breastfeeding was covered last night as well. I'll just touch on the Fatherhood component, and leave breastfeeding for another post.


It was more of an open discussion than anything, centred around what our Dad's were like. Were they involved? What role did they play in your family?


We sat in our circle of parents-to-be, and really no one was saying anything. So, C...being the "funny one" turned to me and asked me what fatherhood means to me. So..I started talking about my Dad and how he was really involved with us when we were kids, and all throughout our lives. It really brought back a lot of memories, and I got a little teary-eyed when we were watching the Fatherhood video just before break.


Fatherhood and the importance on the subject seems to be a generational thing...Some of them mentioned that their Granddad's weren't as involved with their kids, as their Dad's were with them. The Dad's last night were so incredibly keen on the bonds that they've already built with their babies. I mean, C reads to Bug about 3 times a week, says "Good night, Dude" every night and kisses my belly before I go to sleep.


It was really nice to hear from C's point of view what he's most worried about (the "Provider" role) and what he's excited about. I knew that he in general was really excited about Bug, but I guess I never really put it into perspective or realized just how excited he really is about his little boy.


And...I'm happy to announce that there will be a guest-blogger in the next couple of weeks! I asked C on the way home if he would write a weekly entry about his experiences as a new Dad, what his favourite moments have been so far etc. etc. and he said that he would, though some might come through as pod-casts so that you all can "hear how funny he is." Oh...he's a joke maker!


Tonight we have our "Becoming a Family" class, and we're going to go for a nice dinner-date beforehand to my favourite spot...The Tasting Room! The weather is beautiful today, so we'll walk down to the restaurant and then walk back over to the car to head off to class (which is only about two blocks away, but they've free parking at the Health Unit!). I'm so looking forward to today, and I was even brave enough to participate in Bare Belly Wednesday's on The Bump!


Danger, Will Robinson - bare belly ahead!


From the front...





And from the side...


Still alllllll belly!

No comments: