Thursday, May 13, 2010

Category: Prelabour

Well, at least we fit nicely into a category that means progress!

I was reading What To Expect When Expecting the other evening, mainly to prepare myself for our Friday appointment, and came across the different stages of labour, and what each entails.

Apparently, we fit very comfortably into the Prelabour category. The main signs are:

dropping - we can actually see from the outside now, my belly hangs so low these days

increasing pressure on the pelvic floor and bum, - it's gotten so bad that when I sneeze, I can feel his head pushing against my cervix

loss of weight or no weight gain - at our last appointment, I lost 1lb. However, that could be due to better eating habits since C's been working with a personal trainer

change in energy levels - for me that's meant complete exhaustion...and this rainy weather is NOT helping!

change in discharge, loss of the beloved mucous plug

"show"

intensified Braxton Hicks - which I barely get anymore...they've moved to full on back pain and sharp shooter pains through my pelvis

diarrhea

Well...I've had almost all of that, save for a few of the more gross symptoms. Last night I had alot of back pain that would intensify, then ease up...only to intensify again. Apparently, that's a real labour sign...so I guess you could say that we're on the cusp of Prelabour and Real Labour. A few of the back contractions, and one of the lower uterine contractions, actually had me in tears yesterday....so all signs are pointing toward early delivery...or a few weeks of hell.

Keep your fingers crossed that we get new of progress tomorrow at the doctor's! If we don't, I may have a breakdown!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm sure there'll be progress but try not to set yourself up for disappointment. I was in full labour, having contractions that were like transitional labour and was measuring at 2cm dilated. I was sure I'd be at 8! The hospital actually told me they couldn't admit me until I was 4cm so I should go home. I couldn't even walk b/c I was having one contraction on top of the next! I had Ella less than 2 hours later :) Any little change is progress and you need to trust your body. Also, while crying is a good release but, although it's counterintuitive, try to drop your shoulders, unclench your jaw & hands and relax through your contractions. Practicing this w/ your prelabour contractions will really help you when the real thing hits (or it'll make you realize you want to walk in backwards, ready for the epidural ;)).

Shan said...

haha I would be happy with 25% effacement and 0 dilation! As long as it's something - all of this pain can't be for nothing. (and deep down, I know it's not, but it's hard to remember in the middle of a back contraction)

I definitely not expecting 5cm or anything like that!

The crying ust sort of happened...the tears started to fall and I wasn't sobbing or aynthing, I was breathing and thinking "its okay, it'll pass, it's okay" but the tears kept coming!

Synchrosally said...

Sorry hun. I hope you get SOME good news tomorrow!

Shannon said...

Thinking of you!!