Thursday, May 6, 2010

DIY Thank-You's...and Contractions?!

This morning, I'm trying to focus and breathe and stay calm. I woke up at around 5am to go to the bathroom and found myself on the floor, on hands and knees, in a tonne of pain. After having some little mini, not-very-painful, pinching contractions earlier in the day...feeling a stabbing pain going through my back was definitely cause for some early-morning screaming. Poor C just about launched himself across the bed to find out why I was on the floor.
So...let's focus on something positive, happy and uplifting, shall we? Why not Thank-You Cards, made by yours truly!





I am very happy with how they all turned out...all 35 of them! I think I now have enough Thank-You's for my next shower, and any other little notes that I might need to send out.

In terms of the contractions, I'm keeping track of what's going on, when they happen and how severe they are. They haven't caused me to call the doctor just yet, and I'm really hoping that we will be able to make it to our appointment on the 14th without having to make an emergency call to Dr. Jordan. Obviously if it gets more intense, I will make the call but for right now, I'm okay and C is on-call.

Every one's been telling me that Bug's movements will slow down considerably when he's ready to emerge. I have trouble putting much stock into that statement for a few reasons.

1) I have a very small torso...so when he moves even a little, I feel everything

2) I have a large baby in me...well large in proportion to my small torso

However, his movements today have been....different. Not any less frequent persey, but different. I am feeling him roll, squirm and turn rather than kick, ab and punch. And its much lower down that I'm feeling him as well. There are still little flutters here and there, but considering that he's been out of room for the past three weeks anyhow, I have a feeling that I'm not going to immediately recognized the decreased movement, or that his movements are going to stay consistent right until the end.

We've read tonnes about the signs of labour, and consulted many a mommy-friend about what's going on etc. but I guess...you never know until it's really happening to you! We're not quite there yet, but I think we're getting ready!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Lovely cards! There's lots that could be going on to create the sensation of contractions, including gas (which can be insanely painful and go around to your back). Sounds like it's a good plan to have a quiet day of relaxing and not pushing yourself. The two big tip-offs that you're going to be in labour soon are losing your mucus plug and/or your water breaking. Can you call your L&D department at your hospital with questions? I was told to call them instead of my doc if I had any concerns that I might be in labour, esp. if it was after hours.

Synchrosally said...

I love your cards! Take it easy today and hopefully those pesky contractions won't get worse.

Shan said...

Thanks ladies! Im so happy with how they turned out!

in terms of the contractions, they've continued but haven't been super consistent, so we're waiting it out at this point and trying to lie on my left side as much as possible.
TmI warning - I've been losing that lovely mucus plug for a few weeks little by little, and they're doing an internal exam on the 14th to see how far things are getting.

If things continue or get worse, I'll be calling the dr (the hospital told us dr. first then them) They said if more than 4 contractions in an hour, contact the dr.

Shan said...

oh! and re: gas - ya I thought that at one point...but when it felt like someone was stabbing me in the back and pressing down hard on my pelvic floor...even tooting didn't help!

shay said...

I love the cards!!!