Monday, June 7, 2010

Being Sent Home Isn't So Bad...

...when you're going home with the knowledge that your baby is well on his way to being here!


Last night was pretty terrible, I'm not going to lie. I was up every hour on the hour due to contractions that were strong enough to wake me up, and due to the constant leaking feeling that seems to unfortunately have become the norm lately.

I even tried doing some kick counting, and when it got to the point where I hadn't felt him move barely at all in 12 hours...I started to worry. Why was my back sore? Why did everything hurt every time I rolled over? Why were the contractions becoming regular, but the pain manageable?

So...at around 8am, I thought it best to call Triage like Dr. Leslie recommended at our appointment on Friday.

Sure enough, when I told them about my blood pressure from Friday, fluid leakage and the contractions that have been irregular but some strong enough to make me scream...they told me to come in and get assessed.

Off we went, and panic set in. What if this is it? I started to cry in the car, and while it was comforting to have C beside me and holding my hand, all I could think was "holy crap...I'm going to have a baby..." I got very nervous, very fast!

The nurse who saw us initially was fantastic! She hooked me up to the monitor to do a Non-Stress Test, and after very little fetal movement, I got to choose between gingerale and apple juice to get him going. It was pretty funny because as soon as that was offered, he started squirming...and I started having contractions that were strong enough to show up on the monitor, but not strong enough or regular enough to send me into full fledged labour.

They called Dr. Jordan, and he asked that I be kept until around noon and that they send me for a walk for an hour...then have Bug's heart rate monitored...then walk for another hour. The walking seemed to bring on more and more low pelvic sharp pains and a few big contractions.

Once Dr. Jordan got there, I'd had maybe 6 or so big contractions, and the low sharp pains were happening every 5 or so minutes, though weren't strong enough to be considered real contractions. He did confirm more dilation with an internal exam, though the fluid leakage wasn't my water breaking...

However...it appears that my water is going to break very soon. He stretched my cervix a little bit further to see how things were going with the membranes and he said that he would be very surprised if he didn't see me back in a couple of days time, with labour and delivery being incredibly imminent, and that he expects a rather large flood of fluid rather than a trickle here or there since the amniotic sac is pulsating like crazy. He advised that I have 2:1 odds of going in with water breaking:regular contractions. Those are pretty darn good odds...however it now means that I'm banned from C's recliner and now have the pleasure of sitting on towels everywhere around the house!

If...and that's a very big if says Dr. Jordan...we make it to our appointment on Friday, we're going to be picking an induction date for as early as possible next week, or perhaps on the weekend. He knows that I've had enough, and with Bug being so cramped and whatnot, it's not a healthy enmironment for him to stay in much longer.

So...being sent home isn't so bad, when you know that this time next week, your baby will be here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Shan!! I've been following your story the whole way and thought maybe today had been the big day when I didn't see a post earlier. Glad to hear that Bug is on his way soon! Best of luck - I can't wait to hear how it all ends up!!

P.S. In case you don't recognize the name, this is JMRau from Bump boards months ago. :)

Synchrosally said...

Yay Shan! Today is a good day! Bug is good, you're uber close to "popping", and you seem happy! I can't wait to see bug as an "outside" baby!

Shan said...

hey!!! nice to see you here!! Thanks for following us!

and yes yes ladies - he's going to be here soon!! He'd better be darn cute!