I'll give you fair warning here...I will be talking about boobs, two of them in particular that have taken on a life of their own since Sunday. I will also be discussing (nay...bitching) about the inconsistent messages that were given by some of the nurses at the mother-baby-wellness-centre we were recovering in last week. If you're not down with that, turn back now.
Everyone's first question, after getting the details about his height, weight etc. is always Are you breastfeeding?? y answer to this is one that I have been giving hesitantly, and one that I have received alot of....peer pressure I guess you could call it...about.
No. I am pumping and we are supplementing with formula until I have a good stock pile in the freezer that puts us at least a day ahead in terms of number of feedings.
You see, I have a very powerful sucker on my hands and it became incredibly clear while we were at hospital that breastfeeding fills me with alot of anxiety because he's so darn strong.
When he was first born, he latched super well and it didn't hurt to feed him for 15minutes per side. Well...I also had alot of drugs in me from the epidural, and was on an emotional high from ust delivering my son into this world. A few hours later, I noticed that his suck was super strong and wondered how it was all going to shake out.
The second day, we had some good breastfeeding sessions and some bad ones. The bad ones were largely at night, where he would fall asleep on the breast and be difficult to stimulate so it would take about 30+minutes per side to get a feeding done and there was one nurse (we didn't like her very much by the end) who insisted that I feed him once every two hours no matter what, and to do at least 20mins per side. At this point, my nipples were cracked and sore, and the nurses were telling me to tough it out and to only use the Lansinoh cream sparingly.
The second night was torture. Breastfeeding to me quickly came to mean a fussy baby, a stressed out mom and lots of tears. I barely slept at all, and poor C had to sit there and watch me cry and scream (literally...I screamed) when getting him latched.
Our favourite nurse, Sue, was concerned that my milk wasn't coming in. Really?? It'd only been a couple of days, and we're supplementing with formula to make sure his glucose levels are okay...so...what do you expect? These puppies are going to take a little bit of a break before they move from colostrum to liquid gold. She kept reassuring me that it would come in, and if I wanted to pump once I got home to avoid the anxiety and stress that I feel when he's feeding, then that would be a great alternative.
I still wanted to at least try to breastfeed once we were home, and the first session was great. Perhaps it was because I didn't have the bitchy regimented nurse looking over my shoulder, making me feel bad that I wasn't producing enough...yet, I don't know...but whatever it was, our first session was great. We had a few sessions that weren't so good, and a couple more that were allright, and then we were right back to me crying and wincing in pain when he started to suck and really get into a feeding session.
Where's the pump?? I resigned myself to the fact that this little boy who I love so dearly was far too strong for me in this particular, and very sensitive, area and that maybe giving the pump a go would be for the best.
Well...the pump is working out beautifully. The first day it was alot of colostrum, so we fed that directly to Owen instead of banking it, knowing that it is very important to his immune system. The second day went fantastic and it seemed that my milk was coming in slowly and the portion sizes would almost double with every pump.
Right now (even as I type!) I pump once every 2-3 hours, depending on what's going on, where we are and if Owen is feeding at the time. I find it relaxing, have control over the situation, and can then snuggle with Owen when he is hungry, rather than sit and cry that I'm not producing enough and feeling like a total failure.
To those out there who've judged me for this, I have nothing but horrible terrible things to say to you that I will not write here. Simply, you do not know how it feels and therefore could never relate to the pain of scabbed, bleeding nipples and feeling like a chew toy to a precious little boy.
To those mom's out there who may be struggling with this same thing or aren't quiet decided on if they want to breastfeed, I would highly recommend becoming an exclusive pumper like I did. It's so easy! I was doing 20minutes per side without issue a few days ago, and now that my milk is coming in more and more everyday, I am down to 10minutes as per my doctor's instructions.
While we are still supplementing with formula for the time being, C and I share the responsibility of feeding him, which is a huge help for me when I need to pump at 2:30am (aka...nowish) and is a great bonding tool for the boys. We both know that Owen is getting the nutrients that he needs, and is a very happy baby because he doesn't have parents who are stressing about this particular issue.
I am doing everything that I can to help my supply increase, and it seems to be at a steady 2oz. per pumping session at the moment. Owen eats about 2-3oz. per sitting right now, so while my supply is okay, it definitely cold be better and will get better with consistency and a few tricks like warm compresses, hydration and a balanced diet. Oh...and rest!
Which is where I should be headed off to now that I'm done my midnight-pumping session. So I will leave you with this...
A positive bond between mom and baby doesn't have to be established by breastfeeding. It is established when mom is happy and feels an incredible amount of love for her child, regardless of how they get fed. It is established when a baby has a full tummy and is happy when he (or she) looks up at their momma and smiles, giggles, toots and snuggles in for a nap. It is established out of love, not out of a routine or how a mom choose to feed their child.
9 comments:
Im so sorry I have congratulated you yet, but Congrats on the birth of Owen, he is ADORABLE!!!
I know exactly how you feel about the BFing. At the hospital they pushed and pushed for me to feed Benjamin every two hours. I did so at teh hospital, even though I felt like he wasnt even getting anything.
Turns out when we got home I noticed his tongue is tied:-( So I started pumping. It was great knowing exactly what Benjamin was getting and knowing that he wasnt working so hard and not getting enough. After a few days of pumping though I noticed that it just wasnt enough. For me I dont think my milk was filling him up so we are going to switch over to formula.
I have had so many ppl giving me advice. Some saying that I NEED to bf, that I NEED to pump, and the of course my friends who say do what I think is best. Thats what it came down to. In the end you need to do what you feel is best for you and baby.
I am so happy your wrote this. I think you are giving the very best to Owen and taking care of yourself as well. :O) You go girl!!
I'm sorry that BFing has been such an emotional thing for you, through our e-mails I don't think I 'got' how difficult it was (although I was aware of the cracked & bleeding nipples). I'd be really surprised if someone had an issue w/ you giving him breastmilk in a bottle as opposed to at the breast. What's the difference?! I'm glad you've got a system going that works for you, C & Owen and I think it's great that C can be so involved in the feeding process b/c that's one area D couldn't help out with or bond w/ the kids over b/c neither or mine accepted a bottle. You know what's best for you and your son and, quite honestly, it's no one else's business what you choose to do.
We are having the exact same problem, and our boys were born on the same day! Ethan did great latching on in the hospital but it killed my nipples. They looked like they had been tortured by the time we left last Friday. The nurses assured me he was getting enough but he still seemed hungry. Our first night at home was pure torture because he wouldn't latch on ( my nipples were flat) and he just plain wasn't getting enough. We are supplementing with formula and I have been pumping since Sunday as well. I am still only getting 1 oz per session though which is very frustrating. I started taking Fenugreek on Tuesday per the lactation nurse to try and help build my supply. I don't know if it is working yet, but I do know that my baby is being fed and he is HAPPY now and that is truly all that matters. He lost a lot of weight in the beginning and is already back at his birth weight because he is getting the nutrients he needs.
Sorry this was so long, it just feels so nice to know someone else is experiencing the same thing. Don't let anyone else make you feel bad, it's what is best for YOU and YOUR baby!! Keep up the good work!
I know exactly how you feel. I remember feeling like I was failing Autumn when I first supplemented with formula but my mom reminded me that I had to do what is best for the baby and myself and that a baby who's is loved will thrive no matter how or what we feed him. Your little boy is so lucky to have a mommy that worries about him but also takes care of herself. It will mean that the precious times you spend at feeding times will be cherished and not nightmares you choose to forget;) I definitely agree with the others...it really is nobody's business what you choose as long as it's the right one for you.
The best piece of advice I got about breastfeeding was that it hurts. A lot. The first couple of weeks are pure torture. But then it gets better and easier after that. It's great that you're pumping, but I wonder if you'll find it sustainable over time, especially as your son gets older and you start to spend more time outside of the house. You're essentially doubling the amount of work it takes to feed him. I would also question your assumption that he has a very powerful suck - what basis of comparison do you have? Maybe you have a low tolerance for pain? I would encourage you to give breastfeeding another try, and take lots and lots of advil.
Thank you so much for all of the positive comments on this post! I really appreciate all of the support - and yo're right! whatever we choose for our son is what is best for him.
Cslack - now...I'm not typically one to be snarky, however...
In regards to if I will find it sustainable as he gets older and we are out of the house more. We are typically out of the house as it is, but I make certain that there is time for pumping before we go and once we return. It's about routine, and we have a good one going.
Doubling the amount of work - it's worth it to me and I don't see it as a chore as some mother's may. Owen is excellent about either waiting for me to pump while chilling out in his crib and listening to some music, or I simply pump after I've finished feeding him a bottle. What's another 20minutes off my back if it benefits my son, and strengthens our bond?
Powerful suck and low pain tolerance. I'm not overly certain how him sucking incredibly vigourously for 20-40mins per breast would be good for anyone's pain tolerance. The basis of comparison that I have are bleeding and scabbed nipples that took a long while to heal.
As others have said, I needn't justify my decisions to anyone, however I felt that your shortsided comments deserved a bit of attention here. Breastfeeding isn't all that its cracked up to be and if I prefer pumping, I don't see any issues whatsoever.
I'm glad you were able to find a system that works for you. Knowing what I know now, I would make different choices from the get go. I got 3 sets of advice from 3 different lactation consultants before I figured out how to make breastfeeding work for me. I was supplementing with tube feeding at the breast, then pumping, then I had TOO much and am still trying to work that out of my system. I'm glad I am finally getting breastfeeding to work for me, but it took a long time and many many appointments to get it right. You are taking care of your baby and doing a damn good job if I may say so myself. Keep taking care of that beautiful boy. He's going to love his happy mommy!
I can see why my comment made you snarky. I didn't mean it to. I am just an average mom who struggled to breastfeed my kids for 12 months each. I know the pain and frustration you have experienced – I had cracked and bleeding nipples, unhelpful nurses and lactation consultants, and I pumped at work for months on end. I still stand by my advice. I'm sorry I didn’t realize you didn’t want any.
Post a Comment