Just a short post today, since I'll be updating probably this evening as well.
The Lactation Consultant didn't stop over yesterday - apparently, she had double booked herself between a meeting and the home visit with me. I'm starting to get the impression that this isn't a very important issue to her and that feeling is absolutely horrible.
The fenugreek and blessed thistle are...well...I guess sustaining my poor milk supply. It hasn't increased at all, and actually the right breast is a horrible performer. While I can get almost a full ounce, if not a full ounce, out of the left...I struggle to get 20ml out of the right.
But we have a plan! I decided that even if my supply doesn't increase, as long as it doesn't decrease I will continue to pump for the next couple of months, exhausting as it is, so that Owen gets as much breastmilk as possible. Right now, he has 2-3 full feedings a day of breastmilk, and we typically only use the formula throughout the night since it helps him sleep longer...and therefore we sleep a little longer.
The Lactation Consultant is scheduled to stop by at 3pm this afternoon, and I have a slew of questions for her. I'm still not sure about getting Owen back on the breast, and know that she's going to push for that, so I'll have to be quite frank in my concerns and worries about it. My main concern is why my right is not producing as much as the left no matter how many hot compresses, showers, massages or supplements I take.
I'll report back this evening, after softball, about what she has to say.
Oh! And Notes From C will be back this week...his first edition since becoming a Dad!
4 comments:
From what I have read & heard from others, it is normal for one breast to produce less milk. I had that problem, I always got considerably more (at least 1/2 ounce) out of the left side. Good luck with the LC!
Shannon,
I have been a quiet follower of your blog ever since I found out that you and I had the same Due Date from the Bump (i'm a lurker there as well...)..I just wanted to tell you that I TOTALLY understand everything that is going on. I had Collin (yep, I'm sure you like the name!) on May 22nd and after a rough first week (he was born with pneumonia and had to stay in the hospital for a week) we began the nursing process.
I had to pump a bit while he was in the hospital, which i hated, but it was for him...but I began breastfeeding at home with him. I was lucky though, Collin was a great latch right off (needed the nipple shield though) and I thought I could do this!
Well, here I am, almost 7 weeks later with a ff baby...As Collin grew older and demanded more I made less and less...I pumped and got hardly anything, i tried all the pills that you are on, i drank water...i did it all. Bottom line, after wrestling with guilt and fear and tears and the feeling of failure-and after dealing with a screaming, crying, hungry child at the breast...I began the switch over. And it got better...and better-I was less stressed. I was happier-and a happy mommy=a happy baby. I still pumped every once in awhile to give him a little something, but of course it just began to dry up. I nursed a bit over a month, and I am proud that he got my milk. But I am even prouder that I have a thriving 7 week old because of the tough, but best choice I made.
Bottom line-Don't beat yourself up, or think anything less of yourself if something happens. It is amazing that you've already put this much work into everything-that you are doing this all for Owen. Keep doing what you think is best, keep working on it...but also, don't think anything less of yourself if it just doesn't happen. I had a lot of support for breastfeeding-and even more support when I knew i had to switch over for low supply-my parents, my husband, my friends supported whatever was BEST for Collin...so as one mom to another-you are doing an awesome job and I've loved (silently) living with you through our pregnancies and now motherhood!
PS. My right boob did all the work...lefty was a loser for me!
hey just quickly skimmed over your blog. I too am struggling with breast feeding and low milk supply. My lactation consultant sent me to this wholistic womens clinic for acupuncture and it doubled my milk supply by the time i got home! I'd love to tell you more about what seems to be working for me. let me know if you are interested :) mikaela86@hotmail.com
Ladies!! Thank you so much for your awesome comments! They're fantastic, and it's so nice to see that I'm not alone in this fight!
Im just about to post about it but I met with the lactation consultant yesterday afternoon, and it was a GREAT meeting!!!
It's hard...to feel like a failure even though you're doing all that you can to provide for your child in the most natural way possible. At the end of the day, his tummy is full and he's happy...and that's really all I can ask for!
Post a Comment