Friday, August 13, 2010

1st Needles

Oh gosh...

Yesterday we had Owen's first doctor's appointment where needles were involved. The entire day until 4pm, I was anxious as all get out, and I think that Owen was picking up on it.

We went for a nice lunch with Nana and Lu, which Owen slept through. I had to coax him awake with a bottle, which he only took half of. Oi...this was not setting him up to be the calm little boy that I was hoping to take to the doctor's in a few hours.

We rushed over to the grocery store to print out his baptism invitations (another post for another day), and home to get a new mini-bottle for the doctor's office just in case, change a poopy diaper and then we were off to get C from the office.

Owen was a superstar yesterday at his appointment. He was screaming from hunger once we got into the baby-room, but I didn't want to give him a bottle until after the shots, knowing that it would be the only thing that would calm him down in case they didn't go well.

Height - 23"

Weight - 11lbs 2.5oz.

Head circumference - 40.5cm


That's right...he's a little (big) monster! He's doing really well, and is still in the highest percentile for his height. Must be those strong Szem genes!

Dr. Gari inspected his every inch, and once she was happy...out came the shots. Thankfully, she and Sharon did the shots at the same time, and I sat back while C made sure everything went allright.

Owen's face quickly went beat red and the highest pitched squeal of a scream that I have ever heard came out of his mouth. I mixed a bottle and Sharon passed him to me for a snuggle. It was kinda nice to be the good guy, offer a snuggle and a bottle and cuddle him up after the shots.

I'm very thankful that C was there. I was fearful for my mental health...knowing that the shots would likely result in ridiculous screaming from Owen. I was worried that I wouldn't react well, or that I would just break down crying. I actually let out a little giggle when he screamed, and snuggled with him to make him feel better.

And I don't think he's any worse for wear!

2 comments:

Mrs.M said...

Oh no! We have to go through the big shots in 2 weeks. Our boys are growing so quickly! I'm back at work now so I expect you to DEFINITELY keep me entertained with your posts! :) I'm glad little Owen man is doing ok!
-Holly ;)

The Steens said...

He did a lot better than Benjamin. He screamed a bit during the needles and I thought all was fine. The nurse than helped me give him some advil just in case. Well he was a little off when we got home, but by 8 he had a VERY high fever and wasnt eating. I gave him a bath to bring down his fever, which helped a bit. The next day he was feeling better, but still not eating all of his bottles. Yesterday he was finally started to get back on track-poor little guy!