Friday, August 20, 2010

Baby Gear Review #5 - Wishlist!

The final instalment! Yes, I could talk about our baby monitor and the tag-along toys that Owen enjoys, but what’s the fun in that? Instead, I decided to make a wish list of some of the things that I wish we had in the early days, and some of the things that we’re going to need to get in a few months’ time.

Stroller cupholders
Like I said, our stroller doesn’t have any cupholders and I’ve looked into whether or not Quinny makes something that can clip on. Well...they don’t. I think this might be a good alternative, but I’m going to have to find something to go along the front for when Owen has cereal and toys that need to be put in/on a tray. Thankfully, we’re a ways away from that, but nevertheless...something to investigate!

Edit: look what I found at Walmart for $10! LOVE The Safefit Snack Pod!!! First right now, it neatly stores a bottle of water, my blackberry and iPod when we're out for a walk. Later on...it'll slide down to hold a sippy cup and some snacks for Owen!



Highchair
The one pictured is the Bumble High Chair...which matches our Bouncy seat. I don’t know what high chair will suit us best...perhaps something that’s portable so we can take it with us when we’re out? Or maybe something a little more substantial and stationary like this one. We’re going to have to decide on this in a few months...he’s already 2months old!






Bumbo
When I was pregnant, I thought this was the dumbest thing ever. Really...a little squishy seat that helps babies sit? D-U-M-B. He’ll learn to sit on his own, TYVM! However, now that I see that there is a tray...it’s a good alternative to a high chair! It’s about half the price of the Bumble high chair, and it’s portable. Light weight, and can travel with us anywhere that we go? I think we may have a winner! And cost wise, it's about half as much as a traditional high chair!





Frog Pod
I put this on our Cheeky Monkey registry (what feels like eons ago now!) and I still love it. It would hold all of Owen’s bath toys, his soaps, shampoos, bubbles...it’s perfect! I absolutely love the little drainable pod that you scoop up the bath toys in! And it’s cute!




I know that there will always be things that we’d like to have, but really, at the end of the day, all he needs are clean clothes (no matter if they are new or not), a place to sleep (be it a borrowed bassinet, his carseat, swing or crib) and two parents that love him to bits. Is a fancy diaper bag necessary? No (though a prettier one would be nice for Mommy since it doubles as her purse! Haha) Will he suffer because we went for the lightweight stroller with airplane compliant travel bag rather than the big clunker with cup holders and an infant tray? No.

We love him, and no amount of baby gear, fancy bottles and formula for spitups, crazy toys and contraptions, will ever be able to replace what’s most important: his parents.

6 comments:

Sara said...

The most important quality in a high chair, in my experience, is how washable it is. You'll be taking the pad off quite regularly to throw it in the machine and you want one that doesn't have a lot of little grooves, screw holes, etc. in the plastic under the pad. Also, avoid any with fabric (like a little frill around the pad, etc.). Cleanability is the main requirement, imo. Adjustable heights are nice so that you can sit comfortably and feed Owen in whatever chair you want (or stand w/o breaking your back).

Kelly has our bumbo and I suspect Katelyn might be done with it is you might want to ask if you can borrow it. Then you'd only need to buy (or borrow) a tray. I don't know if Kelly bought one to go w/ it. The bumbo is blue.

SSG said...

I have both a Bumbo and a regular highchair, and while Jack is too little for them now, I've heard that as babies get older and bigger, the Bumbo can become restrictive and they don't like it. Plus, the tray is rather small. If I were you, if you are trying to decide between the 2, skip the Bumbo and just get the highchair.

The Steens said...

We have the jolly jumper stroller caddy and love it!

the one thing I would be concerned about with the bumbo is its not secure. How would you strap it down? High chairs are great to put the child in while you are preparing the meals and they are strapped in. Therefore you wont have to worry about them falling out.

Erin said...

We have the fisher price space saver highchair-doesn't take up much room (sits on a dining room chair) and goes from now through toddler! woot!
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1282506680&sr=8-1

We are also getting the fisher price travel chair cause it folds and goes for our trips out!
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Booster-Yellow-Orange/dp/B000WU3DVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1282506733&sr=1-2

Tracy Eyles said...

I ditto what most of the others said. We had a Bumbo for Autumn and she hated it. Every time we put her in it, she would have a tantrum. She absolutely loved her high chair and we had several gimmicks that we could hook on to the highchair to keep her entertained while we made dinner. I would get a great highchair and a travel booster for outings. We had a great travel chair by Fisher Price that we took everywhere. It folded down and was easy to attach to any chair when we were out...worth every penny!

Shan said...

thanks for the advice and comments!! We're going to be borrowing GodMomma's high chair (which holds sentimental value..my Dad bought it for her when she was pregnant with her son, T) and I think we might get a travel one for when we're on the go as well!!

I think I might do a travel gear post asctually!!