Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Tribute to My Dad

As most of you know, my Dad passed away 5 years ago this coming October. Halloween to be exact...such mixed emotions about that "holiday" but I'll get into that in another post this month.

I don't write alot about my Dad. It's hard.

He was the singlemost important person in my life...until C and Owen came along, and while I know that he's watching down on us, and firmly believe that he's already met Owen and taught him a tonne of things that I could never even fathom...I grieve in in a totally different way now. I grieve the relationship he would have had with my son, and how I would have been able to witness the joy that he would have gotten out of making him giggle, teaching him how to play hockey and the drums, and even just snuggling with him for some quiet time.

This past weekend, C and I took Owen to my hometown for a tribute that the Pipe Band was having for members that had passed away over the past 5 years. In lieu of flowers, my Mom wanted donations to the Pipe Band or Heart&Stroke Foundation (my Dad had a massive heart attack at the age of 52). Well...we got to see what they put those donations toward.

They planted a tree in 2009 in honour of my Dad, and had it blessed by our minister yesterday in a beautiful celebration at their 100th anniversary. There were four trees that were being dedicated yesterday, and family members cut ribbons tied to those trees. There is also a stone cairn that was blessed as well.

It was misty throughout the celebration, then started to rain fairly hard while a single piper played Amazing Grace. It really took my back to my Dad's funeral, where we had the entire pipe band into the sanctuary of my church to play Amazing Grace. I snuggled Owen up tight and had a good cry while he nuzzled in and tried to stay warm.


Before it all began




Mom about to do the ribbon cutting






Owen and I under Dad's tree



The memorial stone








Owen and I listening and watching the pipers and drummers...




The sky on our way home...I think someone was watching from Heaven...

I miss you more than ever, Dad.

3 comments:

Katie said...

We have even more in common than I thought. My dad died 3 years ago this October 6th. He was also 52 & after a 9 day struggle in the Neuro ICU with a blood infection, his heart gave out. I completely understand mourning your dad in a different way now. I am so very sad that I will never get to see the joy on my dad's face seeing his grandson. But I know he is looking down on us, and Ethan has one very special guardian angel (among others). Even though I believe everything happens for a reason, it is still hard for me to grasp that he is no longer here. You are definitely in my thoughts!

Shan said...

Awh Katie - its nice to have someone who understands :)
I'm really sorry for your loss. It's hard, eh? I mean...Dad's protect their little girls, and then to think of the big balls of mush that they woulda been with their grandsons?! Ack! My Dad would have been great, and I know he's already met Owen up there...it's hard to wrap my head around not getting to experience that relationhsip and watch it grow.
If you ever want to talk about it - you can find me here! :) shanmoyer@yahoo.ca (or find me on fb)

ARH said...

Hey Shan,

This post definitely made me teary eyed. I'm so sorry that you lost your father and I am really glad that you were able to help honor him in this way. I know for sure that he is watching over all of you and is keeping you, C, and Owen safe each and every day.

<3