Monday, October 4, 2010

A Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Night

After two, count 'em...T-W-O...nights of 10+hours of glorious sleep, Owen was having none of it last night.

He went to bed at around 10ish like always, woke up at 2am....took a soother

Woke up at 3am...took a 4oz. bottle

Woke up at 5/6am (I was a little more than a little groggy at this point)...and was screaming a scream that we had never heard before. He sounded absolutely terrified, and in pain, and it scared both C and I to hear over the monitor. We both rushed into his room, C went and made a 3oz. bottle (which Owen drank like a champ) and it dawned on me.

Teething

We gave him 100ml of Tempra, and he calmed down almost immediately. I put him down with his Rockabye Baby Beatles CD playing, went back to bed and C hopped into the shower to get ready for the day, staying a little longer than usual so I could give him a lift to work and sleep a little longer.

When Owen woke up, he was all smiles. I figured, what the heck...check his mouth and see what little bumps might be rising to the surface.

Wow! Not only is there a distinct bump, but it's white...it's hard, and it's sharp because it's cutting through! That's right, everyone...our kiddo is getting his first tooth...down at the bottom on the left side.

Not a complaint from him all day until late this evening, and he actually giggled every time I would put a finger to his lips to inspect the cause of his screaming.

Not even 4 months old and he has a tooth poking through. What's next, university graduation!?

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Aww, poor little guy! My Addie is going through the same thing, I find pouring water over her little face cloths and keeping them in the freezer is her favorite to help. She actually yells at me when I take them away.

Shan said...

hahaha that's one to try for sure! He's not super keen on cool teethers (we have teething fish) but seems to like room temperature teething ring for some reason. And blankets!
his soother lately is getting more chewed on than sucked on...

Tracy Eyles said...

One that my kids really liked was a teething ring that vibrated when they bit down on it. I guess the vibration must be soothing to the gums;) Good luck!! The teething is only beginning...they have about 20 teeth to break in. The worst are the molars.

Shan said...

Edit - we did NOT give him 100ml! We gave him 1.25ml! oops! HUGE typo!