I am the mom who could talk for hours about the consistency of poop and how some diapers are great, while others suck the big one.
I am the mom who take a million pictures in a day on the off chance that her kiddo with smile, giggle or make a funny face.
I am the mom who is excited and eager about making her kiddo's baby food, and already has all of the recipes planned, cups and bowls purchased...and is sitting on pins and needles for the next month and a half (give or take).
I am the mom who plans activities with other moms and has started a group in her area for new moms to get together with (and without) their kiddo's to craft, read stories, play and chat.
I am the mom who takes video after video of Daddy playing with the kiddo, of Daddy's friends playing with the kiddo and of every possible milestone he can possibly hit so that we don't miss a beat.
However...
I am also the mom who can't stand a wiggly baby and is quickly frustrated at bedtime when this sweet little boy thinks it's play time and wiggles out of his sleeper....over...and over...and over.
I am also the mom who has thrown soothers across the room in frustration when said sweet little boy is screaming and won't take the soother.
I am also the mom who expects too much of herself and feels like a hot mess, and one gigantic failure, when those expectations aren't met
I am also the mom who thinks to herself, out of exhaustion, I don't want to be a mom today
Conversely...
I am the mom with an amazing husband who is helping me through this challenging time.
I am the mom who is confident that I can overcome PPD (PostPartum Depression) without medication.
I am the mom who won't give up or in, and won't let PPD define who I am.
I am the mom who would give her left arm for her child, should she need to, and without a doubt loves that little boy with everything that I am.
What kind of mom are you?
9 comments:
I don't remember how I found your blog, but this post resonated with me. I'm excited to make baby food, I love buying cloth diapers ... but I also get really frustrated to the point of tears and think that some days, I wish I didn't have to do this.
I'm getting better. I know how to identify when I'm getting frustrated and I walk away before I get pushed over the edge. But I wish I could make those feelings go away completely.
Good luck to you! You're a great mom :)
thank you!!! are you from TheBump???
I am the mom who thinks her son tastes like Jelly Beans. Who takes a bazillion photos of every little thing he does, then edits those photos and posts them nearly every day. Who can't wait for all of his milestones. Who fills in his baby book whenever he reaches one of those milestones. Who can't imagine being anything other than a mom.
I'm also the mom who thinks she could, nay SHOULD do better. The mom who thinks no matter what she does, she isn't doing enough. Who cries when her son won't sleep. Who has a hard time getting out of bed in the morning because she is just. so. EXHAUSTED. I'm the mom who wishes she could call in sick from the job of being a mom.
I'm also the mom who would do it all over again, and some days thinks she could do it all very soon (but that would truly make this mom crazy).
I am a mom who gets up every day and does her best to raise honest, empathetic, thoughtful, loving, respectful, funny, smart kids. My goal is to provide an environment that is safe, loving, structured and inclusive. I am their soft place to fall and they will never have to question my love for them nor my love and commitment to their father and our family. They will grow up knowing how a real man treats a woman, how to disagree in a healthy way, and how a woman is equal to a man regardless of occupation or income (for those reading this who don't know me, my husband is a lawyer and I am a SAHM). I give snuggles on demand, offer high fives, and tuck notes in lunches. I feed their bodies with healthy food, make sure they brush their teeth twice a day and insist on the occasional bath. I read goodnight stories, say goodnight prayers and go to bed every night thanking God for the blessings He has given me.
P.S. I have been where you - SSzem, karentinks & Synchrosally - are right now. Go easy on yourselves. Be kind to yourself. Take lots of deep breaths and eat lots of chocolate. This too shall pass. I actually wrote a 'mom resignation' letter once and handed it to my husband when he got home one day. He didn't accept it :P
(I'm The Kerr Family from above, and SSzem's cousin, just changed some info between posts).
hahaha Sara, that's hilarious about the mom resignation letter. I mentioned it to C, and he and Owen agree that it's not allowed ;)
I am the mom who is up at the crack of dawn...sometimes before, to make M4M pancakes before heading off to school. Who sometimes has a hard time saying no but always does because I know that I have to.
I am the mom that feels terrible every morning when I drop my little Ethan off at daycare and hear him crying out for me and grabbing hold of my neck in hopes that I'll stay. I am also the mom that just keeps on walking because I know I have to so he can learn to be an independent little boy.
I am the mom who rushes to pick my kids up after school just to find them tired, hungry and cranky. I am the mom who gives in to the after school snack, pushes back dinner and spends time reading books or making puzzles with the kids because that's what they'll remember most once they are grown.
I am the mom who spends time watching my little ones in the bathtub fighting over the toys and trying to reason with them. I am the mom who always reads...just one more story because I can't bear to turn out the light even though I know that's what's right.
I am the mom that sneaks into her kids' rooms every night before I go to bed to tuck them back in and give them one last kiss goodnight.
I am the mom that ofter feels overwhelmed with all this responsibility but I also am the mom that knows that no matter what I do, I am doing the best that I can to raise good, kindhearted, happy and healthy children. And in the end that is the only thing that counts;)
that's awesome Tracy!!
Sometimes I don't feel so awesome so when someone gives me a compliment I've learned to accept it and feel good. Thank you!!!
Post a Comment