Wednesday, November 3, 2010

In 7 months...

...I will have to formally decide if I am going to go back to work.

This stinks.

I'm already dreading it, for a few reasons.

1) my position probably won't exist when/if I go back, so I have no idea where they would put me to work and in what capacity. Imagine, running a small litigation collection company for a law firm and going back to....what? Getting coffee? Running bank errands? Working for C? Oi!

2) Daycare here is crazy expensive, and I can't imagine shipping Owen off somewhere on a daily basis. Yes...lots do it, but I'm not so sure it's what's right for us.

3) We can't really afford for me to not go back to work...so something's gotta give


So...I'm looking into options. An online store...a bakery...something crafty and artsy-fartsy. I recently discovered a love of paper, doing hand painted Christmas ornaments and have always enjoyed doing crafty things...so I'm sorta leaning in that direction.

The bakery idea would be awesome, however the bylaws here in our dear city are super strict about commercial kitchens and we don't have the money for me to open my own business right now. A few years down the road...perhaps. But right now, it's definitely out of the question.

Will an online store generate much of an income? Probably not, but it sure would be fun, and will give me a good creative outlet...and it's something that I could start now before the holidays.

Thoughts and comments are definitely welcome here!! I could really use some advice!

8 comments:

Tracy Eyles said...

I don't know what it entails but I've taken a few "Crock-a-doodle" classes and the women seems to have a great time doing them. You might want to look into something like that. If you do decide to go back to work, I do know of a great in-home daycare where both my kids went. The woman is great and extremely knowledgeable (she did have ten kids of her own). Just a heads up if that's the way you decide to go.

Melissa said...

I hear ya girlie... I'm already stressing out about what I am going to do. Do I go back and pay crazy money to put him in daycare.. or do I open my own day care, work part time. Ugh, on top of that I am already stressing out about next summer when Pat is in Victoria for 10 weeks. Oi! I wish we lived closer!

Shan said...

amen, melissa!!

Tracy - I dunno man. Day care is SO expensive here, and I basically don't make enough at work to really cover that expense. So...I think "whats the point" of doing it... I've thought about Close to my Heart, and at-home party sales sorta things, but I'm not sure...

SSG said...

I know what you mean about work, it totally sucks leaving your kid at daycare. Don't do the at-home party thing, I've done that before, its a pain in the arse. As far as the opening your own bakery thing, what are the laws regarding baking from your own kitchen and having an online business? Like you could have your website for mail-order cookies or something, and then just bake from your kitchen? If you don't have a sweet commercial oven/stove already, this might be an excuse to get one! (Business expense ;)

Mrs.M said...

Hey what about watching 1-2 children at your house? I'm considering this too! Here you don't need a state license if you watch 6 kids or less! My friend is making great money doing that. I know what you mean though :/ I'm jealous you've gotten THIS long to stay home!! I'm at work right now and even though he's with my hubby all day, every single day is a challenge. Anyway keep me posted! Your baby boy is ADORABLE!

Shan said...

Shizz - actually, here...you can't run a bakery out of your home. You have to use a commercial kitchen, inspected by the health board etc. That's the challenge that we've had with the bakery I design for...so...not sure it's a great option. The online store though, I'm trying to set something up now ;)

mrsH - Yeah...I don't know. PPD and all, not so sure my mental state would be able to handle more than Owen!! If you can do it, DO IT!

SSG said...

Stupid health board :)
Let me know when you set up your online store, I wanna buy some goodies for you!
As far as being away from your baby while you are at work, though I work full time I have a pretty ideal situation. I work 10 & 12 hour shifts, so the most I work in a week is 4 days (which is very infrequent), so I still get lots of baby time, despite working full time. I don't know if its an option for you, but if it would work for you to work long shifts less often, its definitely worth it!
P.S. Jack loves the music on your blog, he is sitting next to me in the bouncer right now and he is mesmerized :)

Shan said...

awh thanks Shizz!!
The option of longer shifts, unfortunately, isn't one. It's a law office, so very 9-5 sorta thing. Working part time, or from home...perhaps. But we'll see!

And Im glad he likes it!!