Hey everyone...
I just wanted to, first and foremost, thank you all for your well wishes, messages of encouragement and words of love as we go through this with our beloved Tiko. Everytime I look at the little guy, my eyes well up and I scoop him up for a snuggle.
C and I went to dinner last night to (morbidly) discuss the options.
Option #1
Pour hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars into medication (we're talking $250/month) to possibly give Tiko a few more months with us
Option #2
Send him to kitty Heaven on our own accord
Option #3
Defer to Dr. Tucker
Neither of us wanted to make the decision, so we opted for #3.
I called the animal hospital this morning, and spoke with the vet. tech. I told her of the lack of appetite, weight loss, matted coat, and that he sleeps alot of the time. She said that possibly there is something they could do.
Then, I told her of the white gums...
She said that it is likely time to have his quality of life assessed and that we should get him in next week to see Dr. Tucker.
Wednesday at 2:00pm EST is going to suck.
5 comments:
Oh Shan...I'm so sorry. I know how it is with pets, they are definitely family members. As hard as it will be for you all, think of how painful things must be for Tiko now. If someone is suffering, voluntarily ending it for them in a peaceful, painless way is a courageous act done out of love. I'll be thinking of you guys!!!!
It's awful! He's been so snuggly this weekend...so I keep thinking "oh! he's fine!" and i know he's not :(
I am so sorry to hear about this, I am just catching up! It sounds like he has been one lucky little guy though getting so much love :)Whatever you guys decide, just know its the right decision.
Making a decision like this is so very very hard! 2 of my cats died within weeks of each other from kitty lukemia...we put them both to sleep knowing they were suffering, but it didnt make it any easier :( Just be there for Tiko all you can, love him, snuggle him and spoil him rotten <3 And as hard as it was to be there, the best thing I ever did was be the last one my kitty felt and heard before she went to heaven. I held her, told her I loved her and it's the best (and most bittersweet) moment Ive had with her...wouldnt trade it for the world. Good luck in these next few days!!! Give Tiko hugs for me!!!
This is one of the hardest decisions a pet owner has to make. I think it's smart to get the vet's opinion, esp. if you have built up a trust him. No one would fault you for deciding to put Tiko to rest and end his suffering, even if you're feeling guilty that some of the reasons for the decision are his incontinence & the financial costs associated with his care in the longer term. My cats were my first babies too but, when it comes down to it, they're still animals. When cats don't pee in the litterbox there's a reason and they're often trying to get your attention to tell you that something's wrong (we went through this with Magnum when he had a urinary tract infection). You know that Tiko is sick and that his quality of life is greatly diminished. Sometimes the kindest thing we can do for an animal that has given us so much love & affection is to let them go peacefully. {{{Hugs}}}
Post a Comment