Yesterday on our way home from Ingersoll , C asked me "So, what are you worried about in terms of parenting? D asked me that the other day after I told him about the baby, and I was wondering what your thoughts were." It prompted a very good discussion.
Being a kid who was consistently teased for being over weight, and not overly pretty, immediately I started thinking "Oh I hope that they have friends in school who are nice to them!" We talked about being picked last for dodge ball, the worry that our kids won't fit in and that we won't know when we drop them off for their first day of Kindergarten if their teacher will be attentive enough...or maybe too attentive.
Quickly, the discussion turned into "What if they make the wrong choices?" and worries of drugs at an early age, rebellious behaviour and things of the sort. Basically, all of those things that you can't control once they are thinking and acting for themselves.
Then there are those nights when you don't know what the baby wants or needs, how to make them feel better when they're sick, or how to get them to stop crying in the middle of the night (which we know is inevitable). What about when they get hurt, or worse?
I think one of my main worries right now is, will I be able to accurately teach this little one about their Poppa? Will I be able to account for how wonderful he was and how much he would have loved spoiling them rotten? It breaks my heart that they won't have any memories with their Poppa, any recollection of who he was and all of the things that he accomplished and how much he loved his family.
I want this little precious baby to know every step of the way how much their Poppa loves them, and how he is with them in everything that they do. I want them to know how hilarious he was, and how much he loved their Grandma. I want them to know that he played the drums and was a goalie, and that he taught me to dream as big as a mountain. I want them to know how strong he was and how much their Mommy misses him every day. I want them to know that he loves them.
2 comments:
I got chills reading this! I am sure little bug will know just how much Poppa loves him/her. You will be a wonderful mommy!
You will teach your little one everything they need to know and more. They will succeed in life because they will have a great mother to guide them. They will know Poppa's love because they will be born to 2 parents who will take the time to teach them.
((HUGS))
Post a Comment