Monday, January 11, 2010

Half-way There!

I can't believe that we're already half-way there! It seems like just yesterday that I was coming out of the bathroom bawling my eyes out and screaming "I'm pregnant!!" It definitely doesn't feel like that happened months and months ago, and that this baby is almost done developing!

Sticking with the fruit comparisons, by the end of the week Bug will be about the size of a cantaloupe! That is crazy! The kicks are getting stronger and stronger, and my favourite part of the day is quickly becoming when he/she rolls over in my belly. It makes me giggle every time.

The genitals are fully formed at this point, and we're hoping that the ultrasound technician can get a good shot of them on Friday at our 20 week ultrasound. We were debating whether or not to find out the gender, and have talked about for months on end at this point.

I am terrified that labour will not go well...I mean...our pregnancy has been less than smooth, so what makes me think that labour is going to be a breeze?! I'm scared of an emergency c-section, though whatever is the safest way to get Bug into the real world...that's absolutely fine with me. My pain tolerance leaves something to be desired, and I'm worried that I'll need so many drugs to get through this, that I'll be absolutely out of it when they join us in the delivery room, kicking and screaming. I don't want to be the last one to know, and recognize, what our child is.

C is very practical, and has been racking his brain for all of the practical reasons to not find out. So far, he hasn't been able to come up with any. The nursery is getting underway this week, and the paint is neutral...but if this is a girl...we both want to add some really beautiful, girly elements to the room. We both want to start using their name (though that will be kept secret from everyone until delivery!) and we both want to be able to plan for the changes that come with each gender.

Whether at 20 weeks or 40 weeks, it will still be a surprise to us and our families. The real surprise for our families will be when C walks out to tell them that they can come in and meet "______". It's a moment that they will always remember, and one that I won't change or trade for anything.

1 comment:

Bandia12 said...

Aww I'm still so excited. I can't believe you are 19w already!!! Good luck at your big u/s!