Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Prenatal Class #1 - Complete!

Each and every Tuesday for the next 6 weeks, we're off to Prenatal from 6:30-8:30pm. Last night was our first class, so I thought I'd take a minute to reflect on what we learned.

I definitely think that C got more out of it than I did, simply because I read so much and try to arm myself with as much information as possible (and from learning from the ladies over at The Bump). As always, he tried to be the funny one in class, and definitely was checking the Canada vs. Germany score once the game started (thank God for blackberries!)

After the "What's your name, what are you having and when are you due" introductions (again...C tried to be funny "I'm C and this is my wife S, who's pregnant with our first. Obviously. We definitely thought it was a girl, but we're having a little boy and are very happy to be here.") we split into two groups to write down questions that we have that may or may not be covered throughout the next few weeks. This is the part that I think C got more out of our first class than I did. A lot of the questions were about when to go to the hospital, how often to eat, what foods to avoid, and even how much time off work Daddy should take after the birth (doesn't that sort of depend on what your employer will allow and what you're entitled to???).

Once question and answer period was over, the instructor brought out the Empathy Belly. Seriously, it's the single most hilarious thing that I've ever witnessed in my life. One Daddy-to-be volunteered immediately, and once he had it on (30lbs.!) he turned to his wife and said "oh honey, I'm sorry!" It was so cute! The guys had to walk around in a circle with it on (funny to see them off balance!), try to pick up a pen from the floor, then lie down and try to roll over, and get back up to take a pee break. It was great!! While women get to grow into the 25-30lbs. that is our baby and all of the fluid, it was hilarious to see them react to getting an extra 30lbs. on their belly all at once! (complete with heavy boobs and all!)

The last part was an exercise that led into the comfy on-the-floor breathing techniques. I had been looking forward to this part for months, so I was really excited that we are finally (and safely) here! First, we had to hold an ice cube in our hand over a cup for about one minute, to simulate a contraction. Holy cold, and "my hand is going to fall off!" was all I could think. Then, we were told to grab our blankets and pillows, and find a comfy spot to snuggle/lie/sit/rest (we opted for snuggling, C sitting leaning against the wall, pillow on his lap and my leaning back against him, head on pillow - our at-home-snuggling-on-the-couch position!). She dimmed the lights, put on some mellow music and then told us to hold the ice cube again, only this time to breathe in slowly to the count of three, then out for the count of three.

It almost felt like a yoga class to me, and I employed the same throaty-breathing technique which I found really helpful. It was funny though, because as I was getting all dreamy and drifty, Bug kicked the cup on my tummy and made me giggle. Apparently, Mommy's not allowed to fall asleep during "contractions" or class!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

LOL I am glad Bug is making sure you pay attention!

Mrs.M said...

Yay that sounds so exciting! Thanks for following my blog!! Yours is super cute :) Thanks for sharing your journey!!

Shan said...

Lol yup - he made darn sure that I didn't fall asleep during breathing time, then proceeded to kick for Daddy alllllll night long!

Thanks Holly!!