Friday, March 26, 2010

Diaper Bag Dilemma

The past week over on the 3rd Trimester message board, there have been floods of "What are you wearing to your shower??" and "Post-a-picture of your diaper bag!" posts. All of the ladies are so excited, and with spring around the corner (not quite here yet with the chilly temperatures of this morning!) it seems that everyone is going for bold prints that make them feel super girly.

It got me thinking...What am I looking for in a diaper bag? I know, it sounds a tad bit ridiculous but I really am thinking about what I want and how to get it all wrapped into something stylish.

Growing up, I definitely was not a girlie-girl. I was the girl who would try to tag along with her brother and his friends to play in the forest across the street, would throw worms at him (dead worms at that!) when we were helping our Dad open the pool in the spring, and would much rather play in the mud than have a tea party. However, I did like my Barbie's and have a toy box FULL of them at my Mom's house still to this day. I even have a duffle bag full of different outfits for her...complete with different handbags...so maybe that's where my obsession for all things handbag-related comes from.

So...what am I looking for in a diaper bag? (C...take note! Mother's Day is just around the corner!) I'm looking for something with great storage inside, that isn't too bulky when loaded up, that fits well with my petite frame, and that has a great pattern or texture to the fabric. I've started looking, and so far...these are my top contenders (ranked by price...I have two realistic choices, and three that are pretty far-fetched!)


Kushies Boho Diaper Bag - $44.99CDN - change pad included, two insulated bottle pockets, pacifier pocket, stroller straps with snap closure.

I love this bag! It's just so darn pretty, and it's available at Babies R Us in Canada, which makes it even more appealing. The pattern is beautiful, and I love the contrasting (yet coordinated) handles and buckles. Very chic.



Vera Bradley Cargo Sling in Yellow Bird - $43USD - two flap pockets on the outside with Velcro closures, designed to sit snug against your body, adjustable strap, three slip pockets on the inside, full zippered compartment on the back and two slip pockets on either end of the exterior.

I love the pattern of the fabric - it's not too busy, and it's not too girly either. However...the downside is that it is only available in the US of A, and that it's currently not available at all on the VB website.




Petunia Pickle Bottom Touring Tote in Sleepy Santorini - $159 CDN - water resistant lining, comes with stroller clips and adjustable strap, front pocket with magnetic closure, 2 side zippered pockets for cell phone or iPod, 4 interior spacious pockets, 2 interior bottle/sippy cup pockets, interior pacifier pocket, includes wipe case.

All I can say is that this bad has it all! The variety of pockets is enough to make the organizational side of my brain go into overload! The design of the fabric satisfies my creative side. It's just so darn pricey - beautiful...but pricey!





Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack in Winterberry - $179CDN - hands free backpack style or messenger bag style, built in (and removable) changing station folds out from back, 2 large diaper/wipe pockets, 4 bottle pockets, 2 organizational pockets, pacifier pocket, detachable dirty diaper pouch, key-clip, water-resistant liner.

Pockets, pockets, and more pockets! Originally, I didn't like the backpack style, but when I saw the pattern, I fell in love with this one. PPB certainly has a knack for keeping things stylish, while making them super functional! Again...out of the price range, but a girl can dream...can't she??




OiOi Chocolate Dot Messenger Bag - $239CDN - printed microfibre, chocolate snakeskin leather trim, fixed stroller straps, front zip pocket, two external pockets for drinks and cell phone, key fob holder for keys or pacifier, large padded microfibre changing mat, main internal pocket with elasticized pockets, insulated bottle holder, zip top wet purse, OiOi wipe case.

Now...I like this one more so because of the style and fabric than anything else. The features are pretty standard from what I can tell, so I'm not too sure that it's worth the price at all. But stylin...absolutely!

So which ones are my favourites? Well...the Kushies one is my #1 pick right now, and not just because of the price. I think it's the one that will "fit" best for me, and I really really love the fabric. The runner-up is the PPB Boxy Backpack in Winterberry...though it's highly unrealistic since it's so pricey. Both are available in the city where we are, which makes them much more attracitive options than the other ones (Kushies at Babies R' Us, and PPB at CheekyMonkey)

There are just so many options between backpacks, messenger bags, and even clutch diaper bags (who exactly in their right mind would ever need a clutch diaper bag!? I have lots of cluthces at home that are beautiful little pieces of wonderfulness, and there is NO way a diaper would fit in any of them...nor would I make it! A clutch is for going out on the town, or to a nice event with your hubby...not for diapers!)

Hopefully soon (C...Mother's Day is May 9th this year...) I won't have to worry about which diaper bag to choose!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice hint hint there lady! :O) lol I love them all. If you ever need something from the USA let me know and we can pick it up and have it shipped. No problemo! I like them all! I am going classic. I don't have a pic of mine because it is sold out now. I got it from Target and it has the classic winnie the pooh on it. Cute cute cute!

Jenn said...

I love the 1st and third one!
I will say this. I have messenger-type diaper bags (the ones with the flap) and I'm not crazy about them. It's difficult when you are holding LO and trying to dig in the bag, and wrestle with the flap.
Some love them though!

Jenn

Shan said...

@Jenn - hmm good point!! I didn't think about that, especially when he gets older and is a hip-hugger lol

@Kenzie - he is having hints thrown at him left, right and centre right now!

shay said...

They are all so very cute!!! I have one picked out but I may be rethinking ;O)