Friday, May 21, 2010

Beyond Happy!!

Yup...you guessed it! We got an internal today! Before I get into that...here's the rundown.


Weight gain/loss - +1lb since last week

Bug's heart rate - 144bpm...slightly higher than the 126 from last week, but still considered safe!

Mommy's Blood Pressure - 107/72

Bug's position - head down!

Crown to rump measurement - 37cm


Now onto the good part! We explained about the severity and frequency of the contractions last night to Dr. Leslie, and after she did the measurements and Doppler she told us that it was very likely false labour, my body practicing, especially since they went away after a few hours. Fair enough, but the term "false" really irritates me. It made me feel frustrated and like she thought that it was just more Braxton Hicks and that they weren't going to check around to see what was up.

She went to get Dr. Jordan, who thankfully has known C since he was about...5 years old..., and we talked to him about the contractions as well. C, bless his heart in noticing my frustration asked if there was anything we should be looking for, any way that we might be able to know if I was dilating from what happened last night etc. Dr. Jordan said that the only was would be with an internal, which he would typically do at around 37/38wks, and since I was 36wk5d they would wait until next week....unless I wanted them to do one today.

YES, PLEASE!

So he did the internal, and was rather surprised with his findings. "Very soft" aka fully effaced and 1cm dilated at first. Then came C's favourite part of the entire appointment...."well you're 1cm dilated...oh...now you're two!"

There you have it! 2cm dilated and fully effaced! Dr. Jordan expects that I am closer to 38/39 weeks and have only a week, maybe 2 max, left to go.

We couldn't be more thrilled!

Now if only the Habs could win the cup...then we'd really have a great year!

4 comments:

Mike Arsenault said...

I don't know what any of that means. However, I cordially invite you to be the first female guest of the podcast on Monday night immediately following the premiere episode of The Bachelorette.

It would be nice to have the one member of the Szems who isn't horrible on internet radio.

Shan said...

lol Tewks - it means Im going to be having a baby very very soon!

And barring that, as nervous as I am to guest podcast, I'm up for it!

Sara said...

I'm confused over how many weeks along you are. Weren't you celebrating being at 37 weeks a week ago? And your little counter thingy says you're 38 weeks. So why did your doc say you're less than 37 weeks yesterday? Are you unsure of when you conceived?

Shan said...

no - we know when we conceived (I was charting due to incredibly irregular cycles) Our Dr. has been going by the ultrasound that we had at the beginning of the year, and when he did the internal exam, he admitted that we are likely closer to 39 weeks and will deliver in the next week (two max)

Our dr. is....traditional...so when I start talking about charting and irregular cycles etc. they don't really listen to me!