Friday, June 4, 2010

A Long Day...and Night

Well...the end is near, friends and family. Perhaps within the next 24 hours even...


Yesterday was a terrible...horrible....no-good day. What started out as an "I'm sore and whiney" day, ended up as an "oh my God! make it stop!" day.


The contractions started around noon, coupled with intense back pain and a severely decreased appetite. By 3pm, the contractions were irregular but my belly was tight...all. of. the. time. It was such a strange feeling, like one big long contraction that wouldn't go away.

It definitely got to the point where it felt Bug was going to make his arrival mid-afternoon, and the thought of doing it all alone was enough to send me into full fledged panic. With tears streaming down my face, and blackberry in hand to text with C, I was crouched over the stairs as the door bell rang. The poor mailman probably thought someone was being murdered inside as I was screaming!

Things seemed to peter off, and C and I decided that there's really no point in timing actual contractions anymore. They're happening at an infrequent rate, and we both have a feeling that until my water breaks...they aren't going to come as fast as our doctor or What To Expect When Expecting say is normal.

From then on in, we decided to pay more attention to the pain...which hasn't let up since I woke up yesterday morning. I had a brief two hours last night where I felt all right...or at least better, and thankfully was able to enjoy So You Think You Can Dance, along with cheese and crackers for dinner. It's so sad to not want to eat at all when your husband is enjoying a steak, corn and spinach salad beside you. *sigh*

C went to play indoor beach volleyball (after a 5km run! Go, C!) last night when I headed to bed...and the pain got worse by about 11pm, thankfully right when he was on his way home. When he got home, I was writhing in pain and wondering "okay...so is this when we're supposed to go to the hospital?!". He had a quick shower, and by the end of it I was sitting up in bed about ready to throw up, crying and screaming. Ya....I think maybe we should get ready to go?

Again...they petered off when he started to rub my back...and I was actually able to fall asleep. I tossed and turned a few times, knowing it would hurt, but was at least able to get some rest.

This morning is no better, and my plan is to stay as comfortable as possible until our appointment at 1:30pm. I read up about induction at our hospital and their policies (thankfully, everything's online!) yesterday, and it appears that the next step in this process for me is membrane stripping. Since I've already dilated and am effaced, we will probably get to skip the first step of cervix ripening, and labour should occur within 24 hours of having the membranes stripped...should.

And there's always the possibility that they do an internal exam today, and send us directly to the hospital to have a baby. I'm not holding my breath for that one, though it would be nice!

Either way, I'm not leaving the doctor's today without a plan set in stone and some assistance to get this going.

We will keep you all posted!

1 comment:

Synchrosally said...

Can't wait to hear what the plan is. I feel bug is well on his way!