Friday, June 4, 2010

Plan? What Plan?

I honestly can't even think straight right now...I'm just that upset with how things went at the doctor's.



The lame-o rundown....



Weight - +1lb from last week...so I've gained 1lb in two weeks



Bug's measurement - 39.5cm from crown to rump



Fetal heart rate - 142 bpm



Momma's Blood Pressure - 98/80


The upsetting part was that Dr. Jordan wasn't there today, so Dr. Mok had to fly solo. The internal didn't go too well...it seemed to definitely take a lot longer than it had the past two weeks. She said that she thinks I'm as dilated as I was last week, around 3cm and that the cervix is really soft still.


We asked about the stretch&sweep, told her about the fluid leakage that I had today (a slight gush actually), the contractions and ridiculous pain from yesterday and that mentally and physically, I can't do this anymore.


First and foremost, she didn't know what a stretch&sweep was. I explained that it was the stripping of the membranes, and she looked at my chart, said that I'm only 39wks to the June13th EDD and that it wasn't something to consider yet.


We expressed concern over my blood pressure, and while she agreed that it was "weird", didn't express any concern over it. Hmmm....ok?


We expressed concern over my mental state and the physical toll it's taken on my body. I actually sat there and cried...and not crocodile tears either...real honest-to-goodness tears. Partially due to the fact that lying on the table hurt, my belly is stretched to the max and I was having contractions while I was there. She patted my leg and told me to hang in there.


We expressed concern over the fact that I don't think my body is going to naturally contract in a regular pattern, down to 5 minute intervals like it should to get labour going. She said that if we are concerned with how things are going, or feel that the pain is too much to handle, or if we're concerned about the leakage that we should call Triage and see if they want us to be assessed.


I am really put off by how things went today. You would think that at 40wks pregnant (to how Bug is measuring), that the doctor would discuss induction options. That at 40 wks pregnant, with 3cm dilation and full effacement, that stretching the cervix wouldn't be an issue.


You would think...or at least I would.

So now, I think the only plan that we have is to judge the pain accordingly and when it gets too much to handle...get our butts into Labour&Delivery.

The other plan involves copious amounts of ice cream and season 3 of LOST...

3 comments:

Synchrosally said...

I like your new plan. Ice cream and hot fudge sauce sounds just about right. You are a strong woman, you can do this. And if it takes 3 gallons of ice cream to do it, then so be it.

Katie said...

A lot of doctor's won't talk about inducing until you get closer to 41 weeks. I know it is hard, but you have to hang in there until he is ready to come out or they induce you. Just because your body isn't contracting in a normal pattern now, doesn't mean that it won't when the time is right! I know you are "finished" but he will be here fairly soon. And if you don't like what your doctor said (which I don't really agree with what your doctor said either) then you need to take matters into your own hands and just go into L&D when the pain is too much. I'm surprised they didn't check to make sure your water had broken since you say you had a small gush. Eat lots of ice cream and hot fudge, it always makes things better!

Shan said...

@Synch - lol...is it bad that I only ate the strawberry and chocolate out of the neopolitan tub?

@Katie - my issue is that I am measuring to 40 wks, our regular dr wasn't there, and the resident didn't seem at all concerned by the gush of fluid or the wonky blood pressure. I didn't feel takenseriously at all. And at this point, 40wks and due on Tuesday, they should be looking into options - at least they should be in my opinion. They don't get the pleasure of living in my skin - so while Im sitting there crying and feeling horrible, worried that I won't contract without medical assistance, it's crap for them to pat my leg and say "hang in there." They may have textbook answers, but they don't feel what Im feeling all day long. We're definitely taking matter into our own hands at this point as well - you're right about that!