Sunday, January 22, 2012

Give it to God

Remember those New Years Resolutions? The ones about finding a church, gaining a better understanding of my mortality issues and getting comfortable in my relationship with God?

Well, today I took a step in that direction.

A few weeks ago, I started looking within the city to see what churches are out there. Community. Presbyterian. Catholic. Baptist. Lutheran. The options go on and on (and on). I asked people on Twitter for recommendations, posted on facebook and just went to town arming myself with information to the point of being overwhelmed.

I thought it best to email Rev. Lonnie at my home church {Presbyterian} to get his opinion and guidance since I am very comfortable with his ministry and how our church is run. He suggested a couple community churches, and one traditional church.

I decided I wanted to check one out and set out my outfit last night. Cream shirt with black polka dots, skinny jeans, cream coat with ruffle down the breast, navy shabby rosette headband, brown moccasin flats (man I need new shoes!) Would they like me? Would I be okay in jeans? Would they have a traditional choir? Would they like me? Did it matter?

Well...I went to the traditional one today, Oakridge Presbyterian. I was met at the door by a very nice woman, and checked myself in at the Welcome desk. I met the sweetest older man, named Hank, and was so eager to engage right away. I really did want the people at Oakridge to like me...it did matter to me.

The choir was huge...like 50 people easily. At St. P's, we have a praise team (including my Momma) of maybe 7 people. They even had a kids choir, which was awesome and I could totally see my baby Bear up there in a few years, waving proudly to his mama (as so many kids did!)

The sermon...gosh it was perfect. The message was about giving it up to God, not taking his name in vain, and what that truly means (not just swearing GD!). I felt...relieved, something that I haven't felt in a very long time. It was perfect timing for some other personal things that I'm going through right now.

After the service was over, I went to grab some more information about support programs, adult activities, Alpha programs and Hank came over to ask how I liked the service and make sure I met Rev. Ed! Seriously, the nicest people ever!

I spoke with the pastor for a few minutes, and he actually knows Rev. Lonnie, which made me feel alot more comfortable. I explained what I'm looking for and why and he asked if I had filled out a contact card, which I had. I'm hoping to hear from them soon, and I'm really looking forward to next Sunday (but maybe for the 11 o'clock service...;)!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

YAY! So glad it went well for you!! One of my New Years resolutions was to start going back to church, but we will see how realistic Quinny makes that for us! Good luck with everything!

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Good for you! I am glad you had a great experience. Good luck hun!

Shan said...

thank you so much ladies!